Sending dogs to Trainers

Randy806

Sending dogs to Trainers

Post by Randy806 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:13 pm

I just sent my 2 GSP's who are litter mates and 18 months old off for training. The trainer said they have been very timid but they have only been there a week. Does anyone have experience on how long it takes them to adjust. Just worried I guess. The trainer comes highly recommend by several people I trust.

Stoneface

Re: Sending dogs to Trainers

Post by Stoneface » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:46 am

It depends. If the trainer is worth the money he'll accomodate them. Look at it like camp for kids. They've been in your house their whole lives (I imagine) and been treated well. A little time in a kennel, around other dogs will do them good. They'll be bolder coming back from his place. I would think three weeks would be as long as it is going to take, though, and that is in extreme cases.

Who is the trainer?
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:45 pm

Randy806 wrote:I just sent my 2 GSP's who are litter mates and 18 months old off for training. The trainer said they have been very timid but they have only been there a week. Does anyone have experience on how long it takes them to adjust. Just worried I guess. The trainer comes highly recommend by several people I trust.
Every dog is different. Don't worry about it.
For how long are they going to the trainer and what are you expecting to be accomplished?
I would assume he has separated them for training, and that would add to them being timid as they have probably been together up to that point.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Randy806

Post by Randy806 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:15 pm

I just heard back from the Trainer. He owns Big Country Kennels in Albany Tx. I appreciate he always a text away. He said they were so timid they actually growled at him but that they are getting better and he would let me know if he thought they would make bird dogs after 4 weeks they have been with him 2 weeks so far.

Randy806

Post by Randy806 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:17 pm

Suppose to Go for a 3-4 month stint.

Sharon wrote:
Randy806 wrote:I just sent my 2 GSP's who are litter mates and 18 months old off for training. The trainer said they have been very timid but they have only been there a week. Does anyone have experience on how long it takes them to adjust. Just worried I guess. The trainer comes highly recommend by several people I trust.
Every dog is different. Don't worry about it.
For how long are they going to the trainer and what are you expecting to be accomplished?
I would assume he has separated them for training, and that would add to them being timid as they have probably been together up to that point.