Questions about puppies?

Hdfilmmaker

Questions about puppies?

Post by Hdfilmmaker » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:31 am

Hey guys and gals, we just bought the sister of our male DD, they are 12 weeks old. We've had him three weeks prior and have been working with him and this week started her training. My question is do we let them play tug with each other, or rough house? I've read were people say to let them rough house each other this teaches them social skills. He liked to pick up things she wants and walk around with them. This game seems too be to get close to her with the object in his mouth causing her to chase him. Well this cause hard mouth later? Also, when will they settle down on chasing and rough housing each other?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oregon woodsmoke

Re: Questions about puppies?

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:07 am

Let them play. They will be better dogs if they have good canine social skills. Additional benefit is that it is good hard exercise and will help to tire them out so they will settle down for a nap.

The only thing about tug games is that I won't allow a pup to play tug with a human. Or rather the reverse. I don't allow humans to play tug with my dogs.

My 4 year old still loves to rough house.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:18 pm

It's good for them to play but later, it can cause dominance issues. Hard mouth is a genetic issue and has little to do with playing with toys. A caution here: IF you let them play with squeaky toys, I do believe that later that can cause mouth problems. They want to hear the bird squeak like the dog so disable the squares with a knitting needle.

Never tear a toy or bumper out of a pup's mouth. Always have him open his mouth and give it to you. Never let him run away with it; always have pup on a cc.

LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:37 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Hard mouth is a genetic issue
I beg to differ and have proved it on many occasions.
It's a handler issue. Many of these handlers are generic

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:52 pm

polmaise wrote:
I believe hard mouth CAN BE a handler issue which is why I ff all of my dog's. However I have seen time and time again that a hard mouth dog sires hard mouth pups. Same with the dam. Now, I'm talking real hard mouth here, clamming and bird eating, not a sticky release. I can also tell you that I don't believe there is a person in this world that can CURE a truly hard mouth dog. Control it, yes. Cure it, no.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:51 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
polmaise wrote:
I believe hard mouth CAN BE a handler issue which is why I ff all of my dog's. However I have seen time and time again that a hard mouth dog sires hard mouth pups. Same with the dam. Now, I'm talking real hard mouth here, clamming and bird eating, not a sticky release. I can also tell you that I don't believe there is a person in this world that can CURE a truly hard mouth dog. Control it, yes. Cure it, no.
Give me a pup from a known hard mouth Sire and Dam and I guarantee it won't be hard mouthed .
Cured :wink:

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:52 pm

I'm not talking about a pup, I'm talking about a confirmed hard mouth dog. I've known a lot of trainers and have never seen a one could cure one yet nor even hear one say he could cure it. I'm not a believer. I DO think that you can start a pup from a hard mouth line and if judicious in the training you MAY stop the hard mouth. Few people have really seen a hard mouth dog.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:56 pm

polmaise wrote:
Gonehuntin "I'm not talking about a pup,"
So what is genetic if it's not a pup ?
Gonehuntin "I DO think that you can start a pup from a hard mouth line and if judicious in the training you MAY stop the hard mouth"

Without prejudice Sir'

welsh

Post by welsh » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:19 pm

Letting the pups play with each other will not cause any problems. What it will do is teach bite inhibition and social skills, and provide a golden opportunity for you to train your dogs to leave each other alone and settle down on command.

Play is a natural part of social interaction between dogs of all ages. One of the things that distinguishes dogs from other canids is that they play as adults.

Letting pups play tug games with each other will not cause mouth problems. Dogs are very good at distinguishing one situation from another -- this is why we have to train in different environments to teach them to generalize.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk