1st hunting dog

G-REX

1st hunting dog

Post by G-REX » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:45 pm

IMG_13761.jpg
Just pick up my 1st hunting dog. He is 7.5 wks old and is a german wirehaired pointer vdd name Hunter. He is very birdy and plays with a frozen teal wing. He fetch the wing but doesn't bring it back to me, takes it and chews on it.
Should i stop the wing and begin using a bumper? Is he still to young to learn how to bring it back to me?
What should i do?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Meller

Re: 1st hunting dog

Post by Meller » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:22 am

Let him be a pup for now, teach him his name, start him on coming to you, he can do no wrong at this age! :D
Love him up, make him think you are the best thing he ever experienced!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:41 am

Meller wrote:Let him be a pup for now, teach him his name, start him on coming to you, he can do no wrong at this age! :D
Love him up, make him think you are the best thing he ever experienced!
I could not agree more with this. PLEASE understand that this is a BABY. This baby has just been separated from its momma and littermates and is in a strange new world. Make him welcome into your world, make him want to be with you and enjoy being around you and you will have so much more than a hunting dog...you will have a willing partner that will work hard in the field...FOR YOU. Babies need love and attention and direction. About the only discipline they might need at this stage of their lives is to stop them from gnawing on you and your family and distraction works better than discipline for a puppy.

Have fun with your pup. Believe it or not, directed paly is the very best thing you can do with him for the next couple of months.

There are folks who think that, just because this is a German dog...it needs strict discipline and needs to be ordered around like a storm trooper. You can do that also, but instead of a willing partner, you might just end up with a machine.

Directed play is the ticket for me. I suggest you go that route.

RayG

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:35 am

^^^^^This^^^^
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

randomnut

Post by randomnut » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:57 am

X3. Easy on the fetch also. A sock in the hall, 2 or 3 times is plenty. Make everything fun.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:47 am

I always tell new owners tney don't have a hunting dog till the pup is 4 to 6 months old. Up till that time you just have a puppy and you teach it what the puppy needs to know to be part of your family. One exception is to take the pup for silent walks once or twice a week out in the field and let it explore. You have lots of time to train when the pup gets old enough that is starting to think about hunting and can retain what you are teaching.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

G-REX

Post by G-REX » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:07 am

Thanks for all the replies, i really appreciate it.

tweetergspgwp

1st hunting dog

Post by tweetergspgwp » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:41 pm

I couldn't agree with everyone's comments/statements more. I will admit on my first hunting dog (gsp) also named Hunter I was eager to want to start training him but I had to control the urge to start to early to fast to intense. Just play with your pup, teach him his name, and the finer things he will need to know.

Word of advise and it's just how I did it don't use the word no due to the fact it's to close to woo and it might confuse your dog as to what your wanting them to do later in puppy life.

TweeterGSP Cory Mehringer
Cory "Tweeter" Mehringer. Medical retired from USMC. Marsoc Operator.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:07 pm

That's an adorable pup.

At 7 weeks, I am teaching a pup how to be a good house dog and companion. That's plenty enough to learn at that baby age. House training, what you can chew and what you can't, stay off the furniture (or not, owner's choice), not to jump on people, bite inhibition, come when called, taking food nicely, crate manners... that's plenty to learn for awhile.

At this age, your main training should be to form a strong bond with the pup. Training will be easier if the pup learns now that he must take guidance from you, but you also want him to learn that he wants to take guidance from you.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:25 pm

as has been said so well. In the meantime socialization is essential and start reading up on training a gun dog.

https://drsophiayin.com/app/uploads/201 ... cklist.pdf
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:13 am

As the owner of an 18 week old pup I can sympathize with bad case of the "gotta knows" :?

As been said, spend time outside watching the pup explore, bond, and socialize without pressure. Trust in your breeder that the hunt is already baked in the cake- it's tough, you'll live :P The more I exposed my pup to the sights and sounds i.e. AC compressor kicking on, the neighbor's stroked Harley with straight pipes, squealing kids, and other dogs, the more confident she has become. We shot two training birds over her at 15 weeks that she briefly pointed. The first birds she ever held, and she brought them to me. :mrgreen:

Yesterday, she pointed two woodcock... like I said, baked in the cake.

G-REX

Post by G-REX » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:16 pm

Its been a week and hunter has learn his name and "here". I am surprised that he can hold his poop inside his kennel when I'm at work and bed time before i let him out to the yard and play.
He is now nipping at my hands,pants,shorts,shirts. I want this to stop. He does it when i let him out i know he is excited and wants to play. What should i do?

Duckman056

Post by Duckman056 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:57 am

We are dealing with this with my 10 wk old DD right now. I have always taken them away from an "object" they shouldn't chew on and said no before I did. Then took them away from the object and gave them a Nyla bone and said good , good, and petted as I did that. As far as pants and hand as they bit me I would grab their top lip/jauls and squeezed them around his teeth. It works most of the time but this littlw guy is still testing on that one. Especially with the wife. So I also would like to hear others ideas as the wife(the number one fan of the pup lol) is finally getting tired of it. Both with her hands and her scrubs pant legs that have been rippped. And like you said it's usually when he wakes up or just gets let outside and is excited and wants to play. My labs I have had usually got the idea after a week. This is my first DD

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:07 am

thers nothing wrong with playing fetch with your pup but remember it is just play .i used to roll a ball for the pup and have a short small rope on there collar when the pup would go get the ball let pup come back own his own if he will if not short lite jerks on the rope while saying fetch or come but only do it two or three times .you are not forceing the dog to bring it back but you are encourging pup

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:29 am

Congrats on your new little buddy. Ditto to what everyone's said. He's a beautiful dog.

...I overdid the bonding with my setter and he's OBSESSED with me. Publicly I call it annoying but in my heart, I couldn't love him more~

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:46 pm

Duckman056 wrote:We are dealing with this with my 10 wk old DD right now. I have always taken them away from an "object" they shouldn't chew on and said no before I did. Then took them away from the object and gave them a Nyla bone and said good , good, and petted as I did that. As far as pants and hand as they bit me I would grab their top lip/jauls and squeezed them around his teeth. It works most of the time but this littlw guy is still testing on that one. Especially with the wife. So I also would like to hear others ideas as the wife(the number one fan of the pup lol) is finally getting tired of it. Both with her hands and her scrubs pant legs that have been rippped. And like you said it's usually when he wakes up or just gets let outside and is excited and wants to play. My labs I have had usually got the idea after a week. This is my first DD
Your wife is not being tough enough.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:53 am

Duckman056 wrote:We are dealing with this with my 10 wk old DD right now. I have always taken them away from an "object" they shouldn't chew on and said no before I did. Then took them away from the object and gave them a Nyla bone and said good , good, and petted as I did that. As far as pants and hand as they bit me I would grab their top lip/jauls and squeezed them around his teeth. It works most of the time but this littlw guy is still testing on that one. Especially with the wife. So I also would like to hear others ideas as the wife(the number one fan of the pup lol) is finally getting tired of it. Both with her hands and her scrubs pant legs that have been rippped. And like you said it's usually when he wakes up or just gets let outside and is excited and wants to play. My labs I have had usually got the idea after a week. This is my first DD
Your wife needs to be quicker and firmer, but I wouldn't worry too much, they do grow out of it. My GWP used to stalk and pounce at feet. It bothered my fiance but he grew out of it quickly.

Duckman056

Post by Duckman056 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks Sharon and Jonov. That's what I have told her as well.. but she's on board now!