New 8 wk old puppy whinning all night

G-REX

Post by G-REX » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:53 am

I've done a lot of research on this topic and just would like some info from other bird dog owners. I leave him in a wire crate inside my house in the living room. He would whinned almost all night. He goes inside the crate at 9:30pm and i take him out at 4am before i goto work. He is very good at holding his poop until i let him out in the morning, but he pees inside his crate. I've tried the radio and it doesn't work but haven't tried the ticking clock. It's only been 2 days and i know it will last a while until he figures out that he's with a new family. Before he goes to bed i play with him for an hour.
Would a plastic crate be better? Should i cover the wire crate? Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated.
He is an 8 wk old gwp vdd.

oregon woodsmoke

Re: New 8 wk old puppy whinning all night

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:14 pm

Two days... give him some time. He's in a strange place and misses his litter mates.

I think a covered crate is better, more den-like. I prefer the shipping crates because if you cover the wire crate with a blanket, there is the issue of him pulling it through the bars and eating it.

I suspect that both you and the pup are going to have to tough it out for the home sick whining phase.

(I put new pups in a crate by my bed, so I can put my fingers through the bars and speak to them when they whine. That settles them right down and they will go to sleep. Of course, then you still have to go through the transition of moving to sleep in the crate alone in the living room)

CWT

Post by CWT » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:23 pm

What we have always done is get a 1/2 gal glass canning jar and fill it hot tap water. Not too hot though. Cover it with a towel and put it in the crate with the pup. Dad did this with pups when I was a kid and have kept doing it. Only pup it didn't work with was a terrier, but they ain't normal dogs anyway.

brittfans

Post by brittfans » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:29 pm

I would move the crate to your room the pup can hear you sometimes that's enough to stop the crying .I would set my alarm for every 3 hours to wake up and let the pup out .their bladder takes awhile to mature for them to hold it much longer. puppies are hard work but the payoff is worth it.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:47 pm

I let them cry ; I put in ear plugs and go to bed. In a couple days they are sleeping for hours.( I worked at the jail for 20 years so am not very responsive to whining . :) )
Two things I never do with puppies: Never acknowledge barking / whining and never call them to me unless I'm going to go and get them if they don't come.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ulmer86

Post by ulmer86 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:35 pm

I let them cry the first night or 2 . Then after that if I get woke up they get told quite 1 time. If they keep whinning they get put out side if they go to the bathroom they get let back in right away and get a treat or a quick rub down and back in the crate. cuz to me getting woke up cuz they need the bathroom is better then cleaning a crate in the early AM. After a chance to do there business if they just mess around they stay out for a bit in the dark (with the yard light) and no one to play with don't take long and wont think its any fun being out there alone. I live on a farm so I don't go out with them just watch from the window. When I let them in straight back to the crate they go. Don't take long and they get the hint if they whine they get put out side. First few nights of doing it I get out of bed few times a night some times not even a hr apart but only have to do it a night or 2. This has worked will with the 3, 2 are older and if I wake up to one whinning its bc they really need to go out to the bathroom. The 3rd just got done doing this with and have no problem at night except when she dose need to go out witch is 1 time the past few night. I do get up for work at 4:30 so she gets let out that might help as well.
I'm sure there is a million ways to do it what ever way you pick wont take long and and when its finding birds for you, all you will think is the whinning wasn't that bad and so worth it

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:45 pm

I put my pup's plastic enclosed dog crate up on a table that set it right even with my bed. Pup would wake up and whimper a bit and I'd reach over and put my fingers through the grate. Pup licked 'em for a minute and fell right back to sleep. I barely woke up to do it and after a week or so, he slept just fine knowing that I was so close by.

I know some old timers cringe reading that and maybe it wouldn't work for some pups but it made my life easier and he transitioned to the floor bed just fine.

DarbyWHOA

Post by DarbyWHOA » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:53 pm

I'm in the same boat as you. We picked up our GSP puppy last Saturday. She's done very well. No accidents inside yet. The crying has got better everyday. She sleeps in a wire crate next to my 3yo GSP. Last night was the first night with no crying. Now if I could just get her to quit biting my feet every step I take...

CWT

Post by CWT » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:00 am

Also I should have said I only do this for the first few nights.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:33 am

The weather is still warm, put him out in the truck.
Tom

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:44 am

Our pups always spent their first few nights in the kennel out in the shed, usually with other dogs nearby. And we always separated the puppies we raised and sold so they would already accepted the separation from the litter which hopefully let them cope better with the new environment of a new home. That plus trips in the car hopefully made the first week more comfortable for both pup and owners.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:48 pm

Gordon Guy wrote:The weather is still warm, put him out in the truck.
Hey , you think like I do. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:42 pm

CWT wrote:What we have always done is get a 1/2 gal glass canning jar and fill it hot tap water. Not too hot though. Cover it with a towel and put it in the crate with the pup. Dad did this with pups when I was a kid and have kept doing it. Only pup it didn't work with was a terrier, but they ain't normal dogs anyway.
I used the same trick... Plus a cheap analog clock next to the crate. Pup still whined some but less than before.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:25 pm

CWT wrote:What we have always done is get a 1/2 gal glass canning jar and fill it hot tap water. Not too hot though. Cover it with a towel and put it in the crate with the pup. Dad did this with pups when I was a kid and have kept doing it. Only pup it didn't work with was a terrier, but they ain't normal dogs anyway.

LOL No they aren't. I've had 4 JRTS and you better know your stuff if you're raising one of them :)
Last edited by Sharon on Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:02 pm

I would echo the advice given here, put the crate in your room and shush him when he whines/wakes you up. He should probably go out at least once between 9:30 and 4:00, at least until his bladder matures. good luck.

twistedoak

Post by twistedoak » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:56 pm

7.5 hrs in a crate at 8 wks????
know wonder hes peeing in his crate .
and i'd whine all night too if I had to sleep in it !!!!

A pup can hold its bladder for about 1 hr per month in age .
the pup should let out to pee every 2 hrs at that age.
every 3 at 12 wks

GSPONPOINT32

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:13 pm

twistedoak wrote:7.5 hrs in a crate at 8 wks????

every 3 at 12 wks
Got my pup at 8 weeks. Let him out every 1.5 -2 hours for two weeks. Never had an accident in the house past 12 weeks. He was in a kennel or being played with 24 hours per day. I also took those first two weeks off work which certainly helped.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LouisianaHunter

Post by LouisianaHunter » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:16 pm

Limiting the water they drink before bedtime can help cut down on the trips outside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:02 am

DarbyWHOA wrote:I'm in the same boat as you. We picked up our GSP puppy last Saturday. She's done very well. No accidents inside yet. The crying has got better everyday. She sleeps in a wire crate next to my 3yo GSP. Last night was the first night with no crying. Now if I could just get her to quit biting my feet every step I take...
That's one of the cutest things with a puppy though...although the teeth can really cause you to gasp...especially when you're roughousing with the pup and it gets your nose...

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:44 pm

It's a puppy. You may have to put up with it for a week or 2 before he settles. You just have to wait it out. Buy some ear plugs
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Redleg6

Post by Redleg6 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:29 pm

GSPONPOINT32 wrote:
twistedoak wrote:7.5 hrs in a crate at 8 wks????

every 3 at 12 wks
Got my pup at 8 weeks. Let him out every 1.5 -2 hours for two weeks. Never had an accident in the house past 12 weeks. He was in a kennel or being played with 24 hours per day. I also took those first two weeks off work which certainly helped.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep! Think human baby for a while. Pups mature much faster than babies so you don't have to go thru it for as long. Take him out every couple of hours and set his crate by your bed. Besides keeping him quite and comfortable it will help him to bond to you. It's worth it.

IANative

Post by IANative » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:26 am

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to kenneling them w/ another dog?

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:05 am

We've always just let them sleep with us for the first week or two. They sleep longer and sounder, and we only have had to get up one time a night on average. ( Disclosures - we had to get up at 4am for work anyway, so that cuts into the night hours; also I used a waterproof mattress cover just in case). This never interfered with getting the pups crate broke, or caused other problems, and none of them except the terrier which ain't a normal dog anyhow prefer the bed to their own spots elsewhere.