puppy barking

tailcracken pointer

puppy barking

Post by tailcracken pointer » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:15 pm

I have a 4 month old EP that barks constantly when people walk by and when I come outside to feed or work other dogs , I understand they get excited and stuff like that , just curious of how you guys handle it ? I just ignore it although I have timed it just right when she barks I have sprayed her with the water hose , man it really pisses me off

Tooling

Re: puppy barking

Post by Tooling » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:40 pm

I can understand your frustration as it can get annoying..I don’t think I’d spray w/hose though.

Is pup crate trained?

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:33 pm

No she stays outside in a kennel

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:41 pm

I Hear ya!!!! The only thing I know to do is ignore it and hope you and her survive until she gets old enough to use a bark collar. If you are set up to do it, not leaving her alone outside and crate training helps......Cj

Ben Diss

Post by Ben Diss » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:54 pm

cjhills wrote:I Hear ya!!!! The only thing I know to do is ignore it and hope you and her survive until she gets old enough to use a bark collar. If you are set up to do it, not leaving her alone outside and crate training helps......Cj
I'm facing this with a pup and wondering if you could elaborate on your comment about crate training. How would you use the crate to correct barking?

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:17 am

If you are going to spray with a hose, you have to do it every time she barks. Otherwise nothing happens most of the time when she barks but sometimes her person goes a little crazy and doses her with water for no reason that she can see. Why would she know that is for barking when you allow her to bark most of the time?

You could save yourself a lot of frustration about noise if you would simply teach her the command "quiet". It's not hard, but you must be very consistent for a couple of weeks. If you don't want them to bark, you have to stop them every time that they bark, otherwise they won't figure out that i is the barking that makes you unreasonable.

You can even teach them to go silent after 3 woofs. You don't have to stop the barking entirely.

If the dog won't stop with a verbal correction (huh or oye or whatever you use to indicate displeasure with their actions), get a spray bottle and fill it with water and 1 teaspoon of coat conditioner. Give the commnand "quiet" and if the dog isn't quiet, you squirt them. Just don't squirt their face and often times you can just squirt at them not on them. The dog will shut up and you praise combined with the command "good quiet". The thing is that you must really decide that you want the dog to be quiet becasue you must correct them every time until they learn it.

Also, get the pup out frequently but make the pup be feet on the ground and quiet before you will unlatch the gate. They learn very quickly that run time doesn't happen until they are quiet and still.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:20 am

Adding,, since there are other dogs out there, you are going to have to make them be quiet, also. She's going to bark if they bark.