Chewing

Tmechelberry

Chewing

Post by Tmechelberry » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:27 pm

I have a 7 week old Red Setter pup and he is a bundle of joy. I am just kind of curious at how others have dealt with the teething phase. Comment stories or suggestions! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROTTnBRITT

Re: Chewing

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:40 am

I had a few chew toys for my red setter. He wasnt much of a chewer, and never chewed anything up. Best house dog I have ever had.

pooch897

Chewing

Post by pooch897 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:59 am

Lots and lots of toys.

Tmechelberry

Chewing

Post by Tmechelberry » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:04 am

Yeah this little guy will be my 2nd Red Setter. My last one never really chewed or played with toys much. But this one is nuts about them and chewing.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:29 pm

Some of that may come from separating from the mother and littermates too early. And some just seems built in to some pups.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MGIII

Chewing

Post by MGIII » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:12 pm

My 9 month old Britt chews a lot still. My drip system in my backyard has been chewed up. I correct her on it when I catch her but she is hard headed. Hopefully she grows out of it soon. She has antlers to chew on which her and the older male love but she continues with the drip system.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:49 am

Have some chews that are allowed. Anytime he starts to chew on something you don't want chewed, you say "Not that, chew this" and hand him a legal chew. If you pay attention and trade every time he feels like chewing it is very quick for the pup to learn to find his chew when the mood hits him to chew.

If course, if he hasn't started to chew yet, but is just sniffing, tell him to leave it or maybe "that's not yours" and give him his chew.

I like the 12" long bully sticks for pups. Pups can handle the smaller diameter easily and the things must taste just right because all dogs love them. They are also tough and last a long while, which matters because they are expensive. Costco has a good deal on a 12 pack.

I also buy either 6" or 12" heavy weight retriever rolls made of USA grown hide. Those are not easy to find and they are not cheap, but they are a solid piece of hide, not a cover piece filled with little scraps.

As soon as the chew gets small enough to swallow, it should be thrown away. I don't buy rawhide with the knotted ends because the dogs can get those knots off and swallow them and the knots are big enough to cause an impaction.

If you can't watch the pup put him someplace where there is nothing that he isn't allowed to chew. Let him loose in the house when someone is available to watch and train him. if you want good manners, you must be persistent and consistent.