Female GSP pees at the drop of a hat

Jogan

Female GSP pees at the drop of a hat

Post by Jogan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:52 pm

I have a 15 wk old GSP who is adorable except for she is alway squating to pee. Whether it be outside playing or training, inside on the floor at random. Also in the morning right before I let her out She will pee in her crate. Right in front of me. Sometimes its a bunch most of the time its drips. Shes current on shots. Any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: Female GSP pees at the drop of a hat

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:54 pm

Trip to vet to rule out UTI or vaginitis.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:59 pm

We have a 19 week old French Brittany who had similar behavior until he was about 16-17 weeks. We ruled out UTI with the vet. The only way we found to control it and keep some of our sanity was to literally bring him out every 20 minutes on a leash and tell him to "go potty" - we would then stay out as long as we had to until he went potty - sometimes 10 seconds and sometimes 40 minutes. After he went we tell him "good potty" get excited and pet him a bit. We also bell trained him since we got him at 9 weeks. Every time we take him out we hit the bell on the door with his paw. This week was literally the first week of no accidents in the house and consistent ringing of the bell on his own. Good luck, I know how frustrating it is! My previous dog is 9 and has literally only had 2 accidents inside ever which made it ever more frustrating. Definitely rule out a UTI though because if that is the cause your pup really has little control.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:29 am

If a trip to the vet rules out a definite physical complaint then it could be a mental one. She could be submission widdling ....big time ! I very recently had a little 4- 6 months old springer pup here for training. She submission widdled like there was no tomorrow. I got on very well with her, in fact I tried to buy her as she is one of the best working pups I have ever seen, she was very willing to please and had "natural ability" enough for any two dogs. But ! Although the submission widdling in the kennel, the house and outdoors did diminish , it never entirely stopped.

Sometimes only time can "cure" submission widdling and the best thing you can do to diminish it is to ignore it and just clean up without comment and certainly without correction/punishment.

Scolding a pup for submission widdling is likely to make it widdle all the more as the pup thinks it has not submitted "strongly" enough.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:43 pm

Trekmoor wrote:If a trip to the vet rules out a definite physical complaint then it could be a mental one. She could be submission widdling ....big time ! I very recently had a little 4- 6 months old springer pup here for training. She submission widdled like there was no tomorrow. I got on very well with her, in fact I tried to buy her as she is one of the best working pups I have ever seen, she was very willing to please and had "natural ability" enough for any two dogs. But ! Although the submission widdling in the kennel, the house and outdoors did diminish , it never entirely stopped.

Sometimes only time can "cure" submission widdling and the best thing you can do to diminish it is to ignore it and just clean up without comment and certainly without correction/punishment.

Scolding a pup for submission widdling is likely to make it widdle all the more as the pup thinks it has not submitted "strongly" enough.

Bill T.
+1
not an easy fix and any scolding usually makes it worse. Time often doesn't fix it. All training at this point needs to be positive reinforcement for a while. (everyone)
Go to you tube and search willow creek kennel and watch the puppy clicker training. I use a form of it with the food but I don't use a clicker. Really a good positive way to start a pup out.

Jogan

Post by Jogan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:38 pm

I got her to the vet last Wednesday and she said she did not think she had UTI however she did not take a urine sample... My pup had a slight discharge so she put her on antibiotics. She has been doing well in the Kennel until today. She pee'd or widdled in front of me once and my son once. I have an older boxer who puts her in her place when she get out of control. I do not recall the pup submit widdling when she growls at her. Would my pup submission widdle only when she is being disciplined? I started with Chads techniques and have switched to the perfect start. I will go back and look at his videos. I like his methods also. Thanks for the help and suggestions. You helped ease my mind. We have a couple more nights of antibiotics so I will update if it has been effective. I need to have the vet submit a urine sample if that is truly the only way to rule it out. I should of pushed for it.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:14 pm

Everything both do builds confidence. They don't put pups in a position to fail. Lots of praise. I would also take the pup out in the field for walks. Don't talk just walk. If the pup gets to far out don't call it, change directions a little. It will learn to look back and keep an eye on you.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:45 am

As a tip on the positive reinforcement... make a mental switch in your mind. Move away from correcting when the puppy does something you don't like. Change to reward the things you like.
If your puppy is being calm and quiet reward them. Don't wait for them to act out so you want to correct them. If they are approaching you and NOT jumping, reward them. Don't wait for the jump and correct. Most puppies do not draw your attention when they are doing what you like. You relax and ignore them, when you should instead be notching and rewarding that GOOD behavior, so the bad behavior (which is almost all natural innate behaviors for a puppy keep in mind and NOT stubbornness) is not getting your attention which is a reward in itself.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:33 pm

What did the vet say about a UTI - urinary tract infection - Jogan? Very common in females as their butt hits the dirt to pee.

edited for : butt not but:)
Last edited by Sharon on Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:33 pm

Peeing in drips is not really normal. And as Sharon says, females a very prone to UTIs. Also vaginitis which may cause swelling and restrict proper urine flow.

Jogan

Post by Jogan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:08 pm

I just got back from the vet. Assistant say she saw crystels. Vet will be in tomorrow. Bring another sample for him.

Jogan

Post by Jogan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:25 am

mountaindogs wrote:Peeing in drips is not really normal. And as Sharon says, females a very prone to UTIs. Also vaginitis which may cause swelling and restrict proper urine flow.
Let me clarify about her urinating. After she has initially relieved herself she will pee in drips periodically through out the walk or whatever is going on. She does not struggle to urinate.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:45 pm

Jogan wrote:I just got back from the vet. Assistant say she saw crystels. Vet will be in tomorrow. Bring another sample for him.
VERY indicative of a UTI. I think your problem is going to be easily solved. :).... antibiotic

( Don't wait so long next time to see the vet.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Jogan

Post by Jogan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:15 pm

OK, Vet looked at second sample and said he saw no crystals :? However he saw bacteria (vaginitis) in her urine so he changed to a different antibiotic to clear that up.