5 month old GSP

SouthernTied

5 month old GSP

Post by SouthernTied » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:54 am

I'm relatively new to this training thing on my own. My roommate has a kennel and his "mentor" has a jam up kennel in this area(12 dogs that are grand champion MH) along with others. I've been training my GSP alone on their advice. Off leash he will sit,place,come,and lay down. Also will hold point and retrieve on land and water. Was wondering if this was good progression at his age compared to most dogs. He's going to be my south hunting pointer, retriever and I have a chocolate lab for the colder states.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: 5 month old GSP

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:56 am

Welcome,

Dog training is not performed on a schedule but my first thought is you are spending too much time with formal training instead of letting the pup have fun. Most of us are looking for an independent intelligent dog and that means the early months are usually spent bonding, learning his house and yard manners, and walks in a field so it can explore and see what this world has to offer.

I understand your interest in comparison if this is your first pointer but in all honesty what you are wanting to know is somewhat like comparing when you learned to tie your shoes. Nice to know but has little to no effect on how good you can be compared to some one else. Training like all teaching is done at the rate the student learns if it is to be effective and little bearing on the end result.

The direct answer to your question is you are probably way ahead of the average but I will also guess that is related to how much time you are spending and what you are teaching which it sounds like it may be quite different than most of us do.

You also made the comment that the GSP will only be hunted in the south and I assume that is because it is warmer. Just remember the pup will do find as long as you hunt no further North than Canada or Alaska. When it gets too cold for the dog I am not going either.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

SouthernTied

Post by SouthernTied » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:36 pm

I honestly don't spend as much time as some think with my pup. I have a full time job with 7-7 shifts. I just throw the commands in with everyday play. I try to make it as fun as possible. If he ever exhibits behavior to show he's not enjoying himself I will throw the bumpers and whatever else. His land and water retrieves are still more like a game of fetch to him. Not pretty but he gets it done. A lot of his time is spent with my roommates dogs and bugging them or with the lab pup. Haven't figured this site out that well yet but the lab has taken much after my pointer. I was letting them walk one of the fields at the farm and the GSP was on a covey and attempting to point without taking off like a rocket. Here came the lab pup trying to follow him and point.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:51 pm

That's amazing progress. You've done a good job. Don't move too fast or you may burn pup out.
( When I got my first GSP , I was going to win a Championship by 12 months... it didn't happen . :) )
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Ouzel

Post by Ouzel » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:09 pm

I'd be careful to not compare too closely what your dog is doing compared to others'. Dogs don't mature at the same rate so you have to be observant to know if you're pushing to hard or too fast. I recommend you spend some money on a reputable program about what to teach and when, rather than relying on your friend's schedule. It's not so much how many things your dog does but rather how well it does the ones it does. Do some reading.

SouthernTied

Post by SouthernTied » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:07 am

Ouzel wrote:I'd be careful to not compare too closely what your dog is doing compared to others'. Dogs don't mature at the same rate so you have to be observant to know if you're pushing to hard or too fast. I recommend you spend some money on a reputable program about what to teach and when, rather than relying on your friend's schedule. It's not so much how many things your dog does but rather how well it does the ones it does. Do some reading.
They are a very reputable kennel. Just took the SRS crown. He's got 6 month old pups that could put senior dogs to shame. I'm not even remotely expecting my dog to perform on that level anytime soon.