1st birddog and first time training

Wyattc

1st birddog and first time training

Post by Wyattc » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:20 pm

I have a female gsp that is 3 1/2 months old and we've been working on obedience and making a few retrieves on a bumper and she's pointed some dead birds just playing around in the yard. Is there any tips that y'all have for me? I've been keeping everything fun and not wearing her out throwing the bumper or anything like that.

marysburg

Re: 1st birddog and first time training

Post by marysburg » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:49 pm

Sounds like you have started out on the right track. You could join a local NAVHDA chapter for access to birds, training land and mentors. You could also get the George Hickox DVDs which describe training pointers during the first year, and I think he has a puppy one too. You are right not to try to overdo the training on such a young pup. Have fun with your pup and welcome to the forum.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:54 am

I would definetly join your local navdha chapter, especially if this is your first pointer. Also get some different books on training methods or programs that offer DVD's. A small kitbox style pigeon loft and half a dozen homers would be of greet help too.

Jogan

Post by Jogan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:31 am

bonasa wrote:I would definetly join your local navhda chapter, especially if this is your first pointer. Also get some different books on training methods or programs that offer DVD's. A small kitbox style pigeon loft and half a dozen homers would be of greet help too.
I am in the same situation as the OP and looking to join the NAVHDA in Texas. What is a small kitbox style pigeon loft and where can I get one? Sorry I dont mean to high jack you thread.
Last edited by Jogan on Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:45 am

tekoa

Post by tekoa » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:24 am

No Birds, No Bird Dog................Unless you have easy access to wild birds you must develop or locate a source of birds as soon as possible. Be prepared to use a lot of birds unless you use homers and be prepared for the expense.

Joining a NAHVDA Chapter can help you find bird sources. Some chapters even keep their own Homers. I have used Hickox's training program on my last for Setters and a Chessie with great results.

Good luck...........

Wyattc

Post by Wyattc » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:09 pm

Thanks for the tips guys! I've got birds and all the stuff to raise them so that's no problem.
Do I need to keep my quail boxes away from my pup or is it ok for her to be around them

Gator_McClusky

Post by Gator_McClusky » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:30 pm

To get a fully trained dog, you basically have to make dog training a daily ritual/habit. Go slow and be patient. Work in small increments: 2 or 4 - 15-20 minute sessions a day. General obedience (recall, sit, down, heel, whoa) is the foundation of all other training (you can't force fetch if the dog won't sit for the bumper). Consider a local general obedience class. Checkcords are clutch - if you want a dog to hunt off leash, you have to train off leash. Daily off leash walks are the only way to get that control.

Encourage retrieving early on. My Prize 1 GWP got a treat every time he brought me something (no matter how dead or gross) and never punished for stealing something like a sock from the floor (recall them to you and make them return it to hand). By doing so he has never refused a retrieve or tried to play keep away.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:28 am

Wyattc wrote:Thanks for the tips guys! I've got birds and all the stuff to raise them so that's no problem.
Do I need to keep my quail boxes away from my pup or is it ok for her to be around them
For myself, I wouldn't use any game farm bird to start a pup. The birds are to unreliable in what they will do. Also your gonna have to use a hands on method to work your dog, that means a check cord to stop the dog on scent. and without remote trap, you'll need a helper to flush the bird.

Pigeons are great. You put them up and they go home. Sometimes but not normally, they'll sit back down on the ground, not very often though. They fly into a tree of power pole or something else high and the pup can't get to it. I've had pigeons and trained with them well over 30 yrs. Since going to them I have never ever had to buy training birds other than a few game farm birds for turning the dog's over to game birds! With pigeons and remote traps, you control everything about the bird and never have to touch the dog.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:09 pm

Exactly. Well said!
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett