Rainy day training ideas? What's yours..

VAsetter

Rainy day training ideas? What's yours..

Post by VAsetter » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:58 pm

What's some of your go too training methods when the weather is not cooperating . My dog is a everynight house guest . So yes I would go out and get him muddy ,, but several straight days of baths , probably isn't good for him .. Please include standard obedience along with any relatable birdiness training . . Thanks

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Rainy day training ideas? What's yours..

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:34 pm

Mine spent those days and evenings just learning to be house pet and bonding with the family. I thing dogs need a day off just as much as I do.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:44 pm

Why bother with a bath after rainy day runs? Run him, throw him in the crate until he dries, then take him out in the garage and brush him out. This works for our three setter housedogs, and I'm a picky housekeeper 8) The thing to be careful of, is to not put the dog up without giving him some cool-down time - wet cold weather + hot dog + crate = limber tail risk.

And as Ezzy says, an occasional day off to snooze by the woodstove doesn't hurt.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:53 pm

shags wrote:Why bother with a bath after rainy day runs? Run him, throw him in the crate until he dries, then take him out in the garage and brush him out. This works for our three setter housedogs, and I'm a picky housekeeper 8) The thing to be careful of, is to not put the dog up without giving him some cool-down time - wet cold weather + hot dog + crate = limber tail risk.

And as Ezzy says, an occasional day off to snooze by the woodstove doesn't hurt.

I didn't know that.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:57 pm

I should have qualified that as my personal experience. The three times we had limber tail in my dogs, it happened after putting up a dog right after a workout in wet cold weather. YMMV :D

tekoa

Post by tekoa » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:23 pm

They won't melt in the rain:
My Setters and I live in Western Washington. If we stayed in when it rains we'd only be outside 90 days a years. They run or train hard every day in any weather excep tfor days with deep snow or high winds. Dogs always get muddy. I wash them off with warm water and towel them off. They head right to their beds in front of the fireplace and pass out. Warm plain water doesn't strip any skin or hair oils so we haven't had any skin or coat problems.

Only downside is the number of laundry loads for towels...............

Dogs are so used to rain that when we go to Arizona for Quail in February I find them looking up at the sky for the first 20 minutes of the hunt wondering why it's sunny?

Mostly the dogs run, but I train (at times) retreiving using scented dummies, water retreives with bumpers, whistle and hand training for turn, stop, quartering and recall. I also tune up whoa, heel, verbal recall, kennel, go on, anytime they show any reluctance to obey. The only training we don't do in the rain is anything involving live birds. We travel to Eastern Washington to train with birds in dry but often snowy conditions. My dogs are old timers now and only get birds to train a couple of times before hunting season. They really don't need it now, but I love to watch them work so we go when I can afford some preserve birds.

VAsetter

Post by VAsetter » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:22 pm

Let me start off with ,, haahha ,, it's hard too reads some1s tone thru a keypad on an iPhone. / computer .. How about this angle .. I leave for work at 6 am .. It's dark .. Takes an hour too get home when I leave work. At 4pm .. East coast time lower Va .. So it's almost dark ..when I arrive ... With the common theme that I've read ..15- 20 minutes a day instead of 2 hours on a Saturday or Sunday .. What are some training tips that I can use in the house ,, when it's dark outside ,, if you tell me that my setter is not afraid of the dark ... I'm still smiling,,..

tekoa

Post by tekoa » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:28 pm

Sorry I tried to help. Won't do it again.

IANative

Post by IANative » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:36 pm

VAsetter wrote:Let me start off with ,, haahha ,, it's hard too reads some1s tone thru a keypad on an iPhone. / computer .. How about this angle .. I leave for work at 6 am .. It's dark .. Takes an hour too get home when I leave work. At 4pm .. East coast time lower Va .. So it's almost dark ..when I arrive ... With the common theme that I've read ..15- 20 minutes a day instead of 2 hours on a Saturday or Sunday .. What are some training tips that I can use in the house ,, when it's dark outside ,, if you tell me that my setter is not afraid of the dark ... I'm still smiling,, ..

What the heck was that about?

VAsetter

Post by VAsetter » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:22 pm

I was Just askin for some advice on in house training in the evenings / when it's pouring rain... I thought by the " haha" you would of gotten the hint I was laughing as I typed .. I most certainly appreciate the inputs wasn't trying too put any1 off .. Hence that just shows what exactly goes on in this "text savy" world that you can't tell a persons tone ..by reading a text .. I am most gracious for all replies, I will certainly try too limit my posts to more direct questions in the future .. Sorry if i seemed ungrateful
Have a good day ladies and gentleman

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:26 am

shags wrote: This works for our three setter housedogs, and I'm a picky housekeeper 8) .

Sheesh, how picky can you be Shags, you own setters!!! :D
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:01 am

My dogs are all outside guys, so I don't have too much to suggest...but I have done work in the garage after I pulled the car out. I have done heel/whoa drills, come, kennel, messing with bumpers or frozen birds at night or when it is lousy outside. Anything you can do in the yard you can approximate in the garage...and it has lights.

BTW, it is my wife's car that resides in the garage, so...yes...I often got some static for getting the car wet. I survived.

RayG

VAsetter

Post by VAsetter » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:04 am

Thanks rayG.

IANative

Post by IANative » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:48 am

RayGubernat wrote:My dogs are all outside guys, so I don't have too much to suggest...but I have done work in the garage after I pulled the car out. I have done heel/whoa drills, come, kennel, messing with bumpers or frozen birds at night or when it is lousy outside. Anything you can do in the yard you can approximate in the garage...and it has lights.

BTW, it is my wife's car that resides in the garage, so...yes...I often got some static for getting the car wet. I survived.

RayG
My dogs are in the house, but I do the same in the basement. Temps in the teens here this week, so working on recall and some retrieving in the basement w/ the new pup.

VAsetter

Post by VAsetter » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:45 pm

Thanks IANative ..I guess recall phrase/ command "here"..? I'm visualizing the pup messing around checking stuff out .. Then you give command " here".. I am also guessing that said pup would have CC on or is he past that and your just saying here and he comes a running

IANative

Post by IANative » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:42 pm

VAsetter wrote:Thanks IANative ..I guess recall phrase/ command "here"..? I'm visualizing the pup messing around checking stuff out .. Then you give command " here".. I am also guessing that said pup would have CC on or is he past that and your just saying here and he comes a running
Everyone does it a little different. I have a check cord on pup at all times to keep him under my control, and to bring him to me if he shows any inclination otherwise. I use various recall commands, starting w/ HERE. I then add in additional cues that mean the same thing- the whistle, hand clapping, etc. The goal to get him to respond the same way to all of them. Sometimes he gets a treat, other times it's lavish praise, but only when he does it correctly and immediately. I let him wander and explore, then give him the recall command. I toss the bumper, then give him the recall command once he's made the retrieve. Same thing w/ a wing. At this age, I'm doing for about 5-10 minutes at a time, once or twice a day. Once he's solid in the basement, we'll move outside where he has more distractions.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:37 pm

We just go - rain, snow whatever - not below 10 degrees celsius( 14 degrees F.) I had a hot water faucet put in the back yard. Quick rinse/toweling and all is well.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

evans213

Post by evans213 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:22 am

Training sit works good in the house during those rainy days. I can have the dog to sit and go somewhere and hide. With a cat and 2 toddlers there is plenty of distraction to tech her to stay no matter what. Also work on hold for force fetch foundation. Whoa is the same situation as sit, lots of distractions in the house so it's good training. Fetch was good when she was a pup, not so much now unless I clear out all breakables lol. Also work on basic i obedience ( kennel, down, etc.).

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:51 am

They make weather proof gear theses days
Get'em out there

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:36 pm

I do some obedience exercises. Put the dog on a down stay and I go and hide his toy and then tell him to go and get it for me. Of course, in the house he can hear where I've hidden it, but it gets him a short run and he loves the game and he is bringing the toy I asked for to hand and delivering it nicely.

One of mine will play fetch in the house if I want to lock everyone else up, otherwise it turns into a wrestling match.

We do sits and downs, heels, stays, and waits.

The two big dogs will wrestle and play and burn energy that way. The little dogs are old enough that they don't want a lot of exercise. Every one gets a run when we go out for potty walks. The 16 year old Papillon and I are the only ones who mind getting rained on. Nobody else cares about getting wet.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:53 pm

I play a game where I "whoa" my setters in the hallway and then hide a wing somewhere in one of the other rooms and then release them to go find it. They love it! I don't know how useful it is as far as translating to a hunting scenario but we have fun regardless.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

evans213

Post by evans213 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:14 pm

QuillGordon wrote:They make weather proof gear theses days
Get'em out there

I don't mind getting out in hit or miss weather like in the pictures. The problem is it rained steady for three days straight here, and I'm sure that happens everywhere sometimes. Plus leaving for work before dark and getting home at dark or after makes it hard through the week to do much formal training in the fields. I don't mind to get out and do formal training in the weather if that is the only time I have, given if it's not night time.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:37 pm

Gotcha
Sometimes u have no other choice

Ouzel

Post by Ouzel » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:56 pm

Nice images!

Reminds me that one of my dogs found a point and shoot camera I lost about 1/2 mile from the truck... just came up to me with it in her mouth. Also, once she found a glove I lost and a stocking hat my wife dropped on a walk. My current dog isn't interested but I've been thinking about training her to find such items. It might come in handy (given my propensity to lose stuff) but I haven't started the training yet. Just an idea.

outdoorslife89

Post by outdoorslife89 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:07 pm

Ill be training this Friday in the rain, if the weatherman holds up his end of the deal LOL.

Im chiming in because of those beautiful pics, wow!!