Source for Gambel's Quail Wings/Scent

truble135

Source for Gambel's Quail Wings/Scent

Post by truble135 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:46 am

I have a new GSP pup I'm training and I'm looking for Gambel's Quail training aids. Other than hunting some up (no luck so far) does anyone know where I can get some wings or scent? I'm working on the assumption that I need species specific scent for training. This is my first bird dog I'm training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

llewellinsetter

Re: Source for Gambel's Quail Wings/Scent

Post by llewellinsetter » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:54 am

first off welcome to the forum. where are you and the pup located? if you are out west just get out and let the dog hunt and find birds, if its the dogs first season its going to bump birds and just be out having fun. also you may want to look online and see if you can buy a few quail, they are hard to find but it could be worth it for you.

cameron
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:27 pm

Gambels quail are pretty numerous in suburban neighborhoods in the southwest. Just let your pup see some while on a checkcord, he'll get the idea. Then go out of town and shoot a couple. Gambels are not the best bird to start a pup on because of their reluctance to hold. they are notorious runners.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:52 pm

To answer your questions, no you do not have to train on the bird you are wanting to hunt. Plus there is no bottled scent that is good for training as they all smell like bottled scent. Plus every bird, like every human has its own scent. That is why hounds can trail and individual's scent and a dog can point a bird while carrying one in it's mouth. The wing on a string game is sight pointing and not the pup smelling the old dried up wing.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:59 pm

Here's my suggestion from someone who was in your shoes about 4 years ago. Search out as much training information as you can digest and develop a plan. Read books, watch dvds. Do this for you, for your dog, and for any dogs in your future if you get hooked. You will find that there is more than one way to skin a cat, but there are many commonalities among the more "popular" programs. I'd start with the "Training with Mo" book by Greelee (I guess there's a companion DVD now too but I haven't had the opportunity to watch it) and Perfection Kennel's Perfect Start DVD. There are many many others including Hickox, Rick/Ronnie Smith, D Smith, Sherry Ray Ebert, etc. Find one that makes sense and that you can implement and go for it. In the meantime, get a solid recall on your pup and set it loose in some wide open spaces where s/he can learn how to search, use its nose and hopefully find some wild birds. One other thing you can do sooner rather than later (depending on your puppy's age) is introducing your pup to birds (be it pigeon or pen-raised quail or chukar) and intro to gunfire. The Perfect Start DVD pretty thoroughly walks you through this process. Good luck and have fun.

Meller

Post by Meller » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:30 am

I understand that Maurice just brought out a new three set DVD, I would recommend that you get the book and DVD. :)