New brittany pup

dandrus1022

New brittany pup

Post by dandrus1022 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:28 am

Hey there,

I'm getting a new brittany pup the end of January and was just wondering if i should run the pup this coming spring/summer with my 2 year old britt? I hunt grouse and woodcock in NH and during the summer when the broods are big enough to fly i run my older britt to freshen her up before the season. Should i run the pup with her or run him by himself?

Dakotazeb

Re: New brittany pup

Post by Dakotazeb » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:49 pm

My advice would be to run the pup by himself. I wouldn't run the two together until the pup has gained a lot of confidence on his own. The question of running a pup with an older dog has been discussed before but I don't remember if it was on this site or another site. Good luck.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:29 pm

At 2 to 4 months I walk with them out in the field on their own. After 4 months I'll hunt a pup with an older dog part of the time, especially when I want to add some range to a pup. The way I raise them they are pretty independent by 4 or 5 months and don't chase the older dog much. I gun condition really early and hunt them by 4 or 5 months. My avitar picture is my last pup. He was born July 3rd. The picture was taken Dec 6th.

20151218_123641-1-1.jpg

This was Dec 18th at 5 1/2 months old. The alpha was only being used for gps purposes. A real pleasure to hunt behind by then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tekoa

Post by tekoa » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:17 pm

Thread discussing this topic is on this forum entitled "Older Dog Influence"

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:17 am

greg jacobs wrote:At 2 to 4 months I walk with them out in the field on their own. After 4 months I'll hunt a pup with an older dog part of the time, especially when I want to add some range to a pup. The way I raise them they are pretty independent by 4 or 5 months and don't chase the older dog much. I gun condition really early and hunt them by 4 or 5 months. My avitar picture is my last pup. He was born July 3rd. The picture was taken Dec 6th.

20151218_123641-1-1.jpg

This was Dec 18th at 5 1/2 months old. The alpha was only being used for gps purposes. A real pleasure to hunt behind by then.
greg, that looks like a nice vest on your pup.

May I ask the brand and model?

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:30 am

It's a Cabelas brand neoprene vest. It has cross stitching so you can trim on them. I trim around the front legs and underneath in front of the back legs. After trimming I don't get chaffing. Really good velcro for closing across the back. 4 years old and still in good shape. Went in and looked for another and they only had it in camo. Going to see if I can order an orange one. The pups chest dropped enough that it is a little tight.