Force Fetch Ear Pinchinf

dubberly_jordan

Force Fetch Ear Pinchinf

Post by dubberly_jordan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:06 pm

I have been force fetching my dog, and I am now on the third day of ear pinch. He knows to open his mouth when I pinch and say fetch, but it is almost as if I have to place it in his mouth for him. He doesn't grab it on his own. Is this normal? Will he eventually understand he is supposed to grab it, or is there anything I need to do differently?

randomnut

Re: Force Fetch Ear Pinchinf

Post by randomnut » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:03 pm

How's he gonna understand he's got to grab it if you're giving it to him?

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:15 pm

Are you following a program or are you just winging it? Knowing the program will help folks here give sound advice that fits with the program.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:55 pm

First, you begin with the jowl pinch, not the ear pinch with FF. Then when he's opening up and holding, progress to the ear pinch. Hopefully you're following Smart Fetch.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:53 am

As you apply pressure to the ear you should be moving his head/mouth forward to the dummy at the same time
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

dubberly_jordan

Post by dubberly_jordan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:29 am

Yes I'm following the Tom Dokken's Retriever Training. I did start with jowl pinch, and once he started doing well with that I moved on.

dubberly_jordan

Post by dubberly_jordan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:58 am

And I was giving it to him because that's what the program said. It said he will start to reach for it after a little while. Thanks for the help

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:42 am

Sounds like your progression is correct then. As long as he was POPPING his mouth open when you touched his muzzle on the jowl portion and was reaching for the bumper with not pressure.

Then, the ear. Don't just pinch the ear, pinch it against the buckle of the collar or put a gold cleat or small bolt through the collar to exert pressure with. Exert enough pressure to get him to whimper and open his mouth and put the bumper in it. Make him hold. Once he'll do that EVERY TIME, extend the bumper an inch at a time directly in front of his nose, not down to the floor. Before you go to the ground, he should DRAG you do the bumper when you grab his ear. You will also want to get him moving now BEFORE progressing to the ground, walking at heel with the bumper in his mouth and coming to heel with it from a stationary position. If he spits it out, pick up the bumper, pinch the ear, and command "fetch". After he'll do all of this reliably, then proceed to the ground, again, an inch at at time toward the ground. Try all of that and see how it goes.

Remember to use ALL THREE COMMANDS: Fetch, Hold, Drop. Each command has a very specific purpose.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

dubberly_jordan

Post by dubberly_jordan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:55 pm

Thank you. Much better today. Seems to be understanding what to do now.