Inherited grown dog training

mboss

Inherited grown dog training

Post by mboss » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:17 am

I recently "inherited" for lack of a better term, a 2 year old GSP. It came from a family that could not keep him any longer, and he was allegedly "trained" to hunt when he was a pup, but they never took him.

I would like some tips on re-training this adult dog. Here is where we're at:

I got him out in the field this past week. We placed 4 birds (not in traps just in cover) and he found all 4 plus a bonus bird we hadn't planted, He DID creep on 3 of them. He pointed and held, but once we approached he crept in, and lunged for them, grabbed one, I stopped him short on the others

Around the house he is a good dog, (doesn't jump on furniture, and is well crate trained), but his obedience is virtually non-existent. He knows sit, that's really about all. He does does respond to "here" somewhat. I quiet "here" gets nothing, but a more forceful/loud "here" will bring him over. He doesn't whoa on command, he doesn't heel, doesn't place or stay.

Where do I start?? Just like he's a puppy??

setterpoint

Re: Inherited grown dog training

Post by setterpoint » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:56 am

you have all the off season to work on whoa and heal and basic stuff .you did right by stoping the dog from creeping sound like you got a good dog hunt the dog as much as you can. if youv never trained a pointing dog befour there are a lot of guys out there that will look at your dog and tell you what you need to be doing i would seek help from a pro. but i think your dog needs hunted

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:12 am

I continually 'train' my dogs on obedience! That is the only way you can keep them sharp. I work on fundamentals heel, sit, down, HERE very time I go out to train or hunt...the trainers I work with also suggest this....

Therefore, taking you new dog back to the basics will reward you over the long run. Sounds like a good dog and your time will be rewarded!

I personally consider the command recall, I use 'here' it the most important, without this being strong you cannot protect the dog from hazards, chasing, and/or getting lost!

Good Luck

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:27 am

mboss -

You have a dog that wants to find birds and can actually do it. That in itself is HUGE.

I think your best bet would be to assume nothing and go through the steps just as you would for a puppy. I would spend some time making friends with the dog and getting it to understand his new living arrangement.

I was always a big fan of installing the brakes and the steering before I took the race car out onto the track. Especially brakes. Yardwork first.

I would do yardwork this spring. Heel/whoa drills, install a reliable recall, maybe do some fetch work,but mainly get the obedience type stuff down pat. Keep it fun and interesting for the dog and mix it up. Always remember to have fun with the dog . Keep the lessons short, especially at first...just as you would with a puppy and always try to end on a good note. In the summer take the dog for runs in birdless fields to work on pattern, range, recall and all of that. Toward the end of summer, you can start the bird work and by the time the season rolls around you should be well on your way to where you and the dog need to be.

A puppy's attention span is very short. a 2 year old dog should be ble to focus for much longer. However, I am a firm believer in keeping the dog happy and wanting to please as much as possible. Enough discipline to make sure the dog knows what you want it to do...but enough praise and encouragement so the dog actually WANTS to do what you want them to.

Good luck and have fun.

RayG

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:08 am

I would start like a puppy and just cover your bases. Here and woah until theyre perfect, collar conditioning, gun breaking if necessary. I wouldn't even bother with planted birds right now. If they dont flush or don't fly hard enough you'll have problems. Work on a foundation and steady him up.

I've been through the same thing with a green broke 2 year old.
You like these dogs because you like the truth. And these dogs, if you watch them, they will show you the truth.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:45 am

Once you have a reliable recall ( perhaps collar conditioned) While you are doing the yard training get this dog in the field as much as you can. It would be best if you can find a large field with wild birds. let the dog run and chase with no restrictions except if you have to recall. just like happy timing a puppy. Do not restrict his range as long as he is safe. Birds are the cure for problems that come from a late start.........Cj

SCT

Post by SCT » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:08 am

cjhills wrote:Once you have a reliable recall ( perhaps collar conditioned) While you are doing the yard training get this dog in the field as much as you can. It would be best if you can find a large field with wild birds. let the dog run and chase with no restrictions except if you have to recall. just like happy timing a puppy. Do not restrict his range as long as he is safe. Birds are the cure for problems that come from a late start.........Cj
Good advice!

mboss

Post by mboss » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:31 am

Thanks for all the tips and opinions on this guys. We've been working on here and whoa daily and building up from scratch. Thanks!

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:12 pm

Jumping in when you get there is usually a dominance issue. It is his bird and he thinks you are going to take it from him. Just need to work on who is the boss, and what is expected of him. Should be pretty easy to take care of.
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
TR Jabo de El Matochar CH -CS -IB
CHF CH Darius de L'Eoile du Nord TAN
CH E'toile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
L'Etoile du Ten Bar Ranch
Messi de L'Etoile du Nord
Meg de Sugar Creek
Orion de L'Etoile du Nord
Persese de L'Etoile du Nord

http://www.ebretons.com

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:44 pm

mboss,

I was in your shoes a few years ago, except the previous owner of my dog was good enough to shoot over him without properly conditioning him to the gun. I had lost a good dog in an accident and I think I needed my current dog as much as he needed me. You got a lot of good advice, from some good folks. The only thing more that I could add of value, is to caution you to take it slow. With my young dog it seemed like it was always easier to build, because I knew how the foundation was put down. With my current guy, if I went a little too far or a little too fast it would really slow down the long term progress. Don't assume anything has been done and if it has assume it was done wrong. Mine is close to six and things from his past still seem to show up from time to time but I have a buddy I really like to hunt with and it has been a most rewarding experience. It sounds like he landed where he needs to be.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-