Running into leg on leash

mboss

Post by mboss » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:12 pm

I have an inherited 2 year old GSP. We are starting obedience quite late, and I'm running into a little something I'm not sure how to deal with.

He walks well on the lead with me, does not get out in front, or pull at all. He will walk or jog next to me, matching my pace, stopping when I stop, etc. We have started going for runs to get him (and me, under direction of my new wife) some daily activity. The issue is not him pulling ahead, but rather constantly bumping into my left leg. He doesn't try to lurch across my front, but he gets his front paws in front of my feet from time to time, and also just constantly bumping my left leg or leaning on me while I try to run/walk.

I really am at a loss how to correct this so looking for some help. I have read a few places "if he gets his foot stepped on a few times, he'll learn" This dog in fact that is not holding true. I do not break my stride for him when he does this, so he gets stepped on a half dozen times, does not seem to deter him from running too close.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Running into leg on leash

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:50 am

Instead of a leash type lead, you might try a solid lead. It is basically a short "Buddy Stick", a type of training aid "invented" by Buddy Smith.

A piece of 1/2" PVC, say 36" long, with a rope though it might be about right. A snap on one end, a couple inches of rope exposed and then a knot at each end of the PVC to keep the thing together and a loop for your hand. You should be able to keep the dog off your leg with that and yet keep good control.

The 1/2" PVC is fairly stiff but does have some spring to it, which will be more comfortable for the dog.

RayG

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:04 am

Stepping on the toe isn't working - you will need to find where his aversion level is. He thinks he needs to be close to you - real close - to be safe from what else might befall him (correction for being too far). You need to make it uncomfortable enough that he won't want to be that close to you when on lead. Might be tough, depending on how strong his belief is that he needs to be that close to be "safe".
Or you can use the solid lead as Ray has suggested and simply hold him away from you.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:50 pm

Your dog isn't paying close enough attention. Back up to a walk. Now and then make hard turns, one of them will be right into your dog. When you turn bend at the knees a bit and bump into your dog with a knee. Dog needs to learn where it belongs! Sometime's you even need to teach the dog what side of you it belongs on. Walking straight ahead, do a 180* turn right into the dog but don't need to bump it. Pass the lead around your back and insure when you do that, the dog come's up on the right side. Teach him his place and to pay attention.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Shellottome

Post by Shellottome » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:39 pm

Run him on your right side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:13 am

Go back to a walking heel. Start walking large figure 8's...this pattern forces the dog to pay close attention to where he is in comparison to where you are. I would walk a straight line then randomly start making figure 8's, (very large) every time he gets to close to you turn the opposite way and command "Heel" then go back into a large figure 8. Do this every day for 20-30 minutes within a few days he will become a great dog at heel....

mboss

Post by mboss » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:09 pm

Timewise65 wrote:Go back to a walking heel. Start walking large figure 8's...this pattern forces the dog to pay close attention to where he is in comparison to where you are. I would walk a straight line then randomly start making figure 8's, (very large) every time he gets to close to you turn the opposite way and command "Heel" then go back into a large figure 8. Do this every day for 20-30 minutes within a few days he will become a great dog at heel....
I'm going to give this a try this week, that sounds like a pretty good idea. If this doesn't work I may try the Buddy Stick idea as well, but this might do the trick itself. Part of it is probably more practice too obviously, we've only gotten to get out and run 4-5 times so far. Thanks for all the responses here.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:51 pm

Shellottome wrote:Run him on your right side.

This is outside the box thinking and I am interested to know what the dog does when you try this. Odds are the dog was trained to heel pretty tight on the left and never trained for right side heeling at all. I would imagine the dog will act weird and uncomfortable on the right side at first and will try to "switch" back to the left for the first few days but if you persist you might find that he settles in to a more loose heel appropriate for running.

mboss

Post by mboss » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:54 pm

mountaindogs wrote:

This is outside the box thinking and I am interested to know what the dog does when you try this. Odds are the dog was trained to heel pretty tight on the left and never trained for right side heeling at all. I would imagine the dog will act weird and uncomfortable on the right side at first and will try to "switch" back to the left for the first few days but if you persist you might find that he settles in to a more loose heel appropriate for running.
This may be an ignorant question but... I have always read/been told that the dog should heel on the left, if you carry your gun on the right. So, I was trying to keep him on the left at all times. Does it matter if I run him on the right and then want him to heel on the left? Or am I overthinking it.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:07 pm

mboss wrote:
mountaindogs wrote:

This may be an ignorant question but... I have always read/been told that the dog should heel on the left, if you carry your gun on the right. So, I was trying to keep him on the left at all times. Does it matter if I run him on the right and then want him to heel on the left? Or am I overthinking it.
It would appear Your priority is running rather than shooting with the dog ,so I don't think it matters.
Anyhow, Right or left heeling makes no difference ..Other than ? (thinking outside the box) If I was left handed I would have the dog heel to the right ,for obvious reasons :wink:
Saying that ..I have dogs that are trained Left and Right sided heeling and Right/Left handed casting so I'm sure it's just fine ..
As for the ''Bumping in'' ..Perhaps you haven't Bumped enough and the dog 'perceives this as a correction to 'stay close(r) ' ??

mboss

Post by mboss » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:13 pm

My priority is definitely not running over shooting. If I could convince my wife I never need to run another day in my life I would shoot the running shoes myself

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:01 pm

They are two different things and any half way smart dog can tell the difference. In fact the fact that they ARE different is why it just might help - to remind the dog that that old heel in my pocket that it thinks is right is something else not required when this running deal goes on.

Now, if you wish to use the dog to your advantage - tell wife that bird hunting for the day uses WAY more muscle and is a much more sustainable health plan than running. And you have then added argument that running with the dog may cause injury if the dog trips you. Just be careful that does not turn into you running with wife and no dog.

My dogs heel on both sides by the way. Especially all the retrievers as it helps them with proper lining and placement on blinds.

mboss

Post by mboss » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:55 pm

mountaindogs wrote:They are two different things and any half way smart dog can tell the difference. In fact the fact that they ARE different is why it just might help - to remind the dog that that old heel in my pocket that it thinks is right is something else not required when this running deal goes on.

Now, if you wish to use the dog to your advantage - tell wife that bird hunting for the day uses WAY more muscle and is a much more sustainable health plan than running. And you have then added argument that running with the dog may cause injury if the dog trips you. Just be careful that does not turn into you running with wife and no dog.

My dogs heel on both sides by the way. Especially all the retrievers as it helps them with proper lining and placement on blinds.

See you hit on something there: There is no "running OR something else" other things (bird hunting) are in ADDITION to the running. And the wife loves to run. Right now she goes to yoga while I run the dog, but you can bet if I'm not taking the dog... she's taking me.

I think he's smart enough to pick up the difference after a few tries at least. I am going to give that a shot.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:59 pm

left or right dont matter to me. use the buddy stick you control how close how far if your not sure what that is the internet will show you .

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:29 pm

For Pete sake, DonF gave you the easy answer; bump him with your knee when he gets close to you. Easy fix.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:56 pm

Carry a stick with a pointed end. Not vampire-killing sharp, but pointed enough to hurt a bit when it pokes you. You decide how close the dog is allowed to get and every time he gets closer, give him a casual little jab. A little jab; you aren't trying to break the skin or give him a big bruise

Don't scold. More of a cheerful "oops, what happened?" It does not take a dog long to learn to keep out of range of the stick jabbing him. You must be consistent and jab him every time he crowds you. I've never had a dog need more that 3-4 jabs to learn to leave a little space.

People who compete in obedience teach their dogs to heel close, even traveling half wrapped around the handler's leg. Your dog needs to learn a different style. A different command makes it easier for the dog to comprehend that he is to do something different, but he will learn it to the heel command if you are consistent.

Don't forget to praise when the dog is keeping the distance that you prefer. Positive reinforcement works really well on dogs.