Thieving Puppy

shanejo

Thieving Puppy

Post by shanejo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:56 am

Our Brittany is 6 months old. Lately he has been taking everything off the counter, not just food. What have you guys found best when teaching him not take things off the counter, or in genera? He loves to be a little thief and take things in general, but how do you combat this, particularly the counter? I know pent up energy is part of it but what else?

Thanks!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Thieving Puppy

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:55 am

Mouse traps set along the edge works quite well normally.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:57 pm

Puppies are clever and they want to teach you.

Don’t fall for it - it’s a trap

Do not be the student and reward him with the behavior that he seeks from you (i.e.; overtly fawning over what a little rascal he is)

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:16 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Mouse traps set along the edge works quite well normally.

Ezzy
Beat me to it, ezzy333. Best sure way to stop a counter surfer!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:03 pm

Or how about this a kennel outside!! My god how do you live with dog hair in the house let alone tracking in from letting them outside to go to ..... And I bet they ride in the cab of the truck as well lol Makes me sick how people baby a hunting dog , so ridiculous

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:06 pm

tailcracken pointer wrote:Or how about this a kennel outside!! My god how do you live with dog hair in the house let alone tracking in from letting them outside to go to ..... And I bet they ride in the cab of the truck as well lol Makes me sick how people baby a hunting dog , so ridiculous
Guilty ... :mrgreen:

pathetic...I know :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:16 pm

LOL ! :lol: That's great. (Yes I'm guilty too.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Up North

Post by Up North » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:24 pm

We are pretty stern with our dogs
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

randomnut

Post by randomnut » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:11 pm

tailcracken pointer wrote:Or how about this a kennel outside!! My god how do you live with dog hair in the house let alone tracking in from letting them outside to go to ..... And I bet they ride in the cab of the truck as well lol Makes me sick how people baby a hunting dog , so ridiculous
Must be a lot of fun hanging out with you! :D My dogs give all they have to do what I ask of them, I'll spoil them if I desire in the other times.

GSPONPOINT32

Thieving Puppy

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:24 pm

My dog is a pet first and hunter second. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:17 am

GUILTY!
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:53 am

Guilty and unrepentant :lol:

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:51 pm

lol But what is even better where are the pics in the cab ?

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:57 pm

tailcracken pointer wrote:lol But what is even better where are the pics in the cab ?
:oops:

..we never did figure out why btw

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:16 pm

shanejo wrote:Our Brittany is 6 months old. Lately he has been taking everything off the counter, not just food. What have you guys found best when teaching him not take things off the counter, or in genera? He loves to be a little thief and take things in general, but how do you combat this, particularly the counter? I know pent up energy is part of it but what else?

Thanks!
Sit :lol:

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:08 pm

To each, (his or her) own! I don't see how people that work so hard at training a hunting dog, condition them, see they get quality food and medical care can leave the dog out side pen up in a pen, until the own decides to go work with the dogs....I think that is sinful....but of course that is just me....

My Golden's, all three of them, live in our house! They sleep in kennels in the house and know what is allowed indoors and what is not!

:mrgreen:

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:11 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Mouse traps set along the edge works quite well normally.

Ezzy
Good one.....

We use an empty beer can with a few pennies taped inside. Place the can on the counter sitting on a dish towel, put a little food scent on the counter and wait for the fun to start. Usually one or two traps do the trick.....

Good Luck

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:18 pm

tailcracken pointer wrote:lol But what is even better where are the pics in the cab ?

LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:29 pm

Timewise65 wrote:
To each, (his or her) own! I don't see how people that work so hard at training a hunting dog, condition them, see they get quality food and medical care can leave the dog out side pen up in a pen, until the own decides to go work with the dogs....I think that is sinful....but of course that is just me....

My Golden's, all three of them, live in our house! They sleep in kennels in the house and know what is allowed indoors and what is not!

I have had around 80 to 90 bird dogs in my life and I might have liked a whole three!! it isn't about the dog its about me ,

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:35 pm

Meaning they don't have what I am looking for in a dog, which is most out there but once in a while a good one comes along , reasons I get rid of them low tail, tongue hangs out while hunting , doesn't crack tail when hunting, isn't intense on point, no brains , no speed not quick and snappy , ya you could say to each his own I guess :-)

Up North

Post by Up North » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:36 pm

tailcracken pointer wrote:Meaning they don't have what I am looking for in a dog, which is most out there but once in a while a good one comes along , reasons I get rid of them low tail, tongue hangs out while hunting , doesn't crack tail when hunting, isn't intense on point, no brains , no speed not quick and snappy , ya you could say to each his own I guess :-)
tailcracken pointer wrote:
Timewise65 wrote:

I have had around 80 to 90 bird dogs in my life and I might have liked a whole three!! it isn't about the dog its about me ,
You must be a real gem being your parents kept ya. Or did they?

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:09 pm

tailcracken pointer wrote:
Timewise65 wrote:

Poor assumption, I am 66 and have had field bred and trained bird dogs my whole life...didn't bother to keep count.....only have 3 now, because they are good enough to deal with ANY hunting situation I now place myself our my adult sons in.....!

Have a good day! :mrgreen:

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:00 pm

Another vote for mouse traps. I let Stormy put his front feet up and watch so long as he doesn't steal while I'm looking. He's only done that a couple times. BTW, I live alone with my dog's. Really helps in matter's like this! :-)
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:52 pm

tailcracken pointer wrote: I have had around 80 to 90 bird dogs in my life and I might have liked a whole three!! it isn't about the dog its about me ,
Can't help thinking there is a common denominator here :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:59 pm

Turn this around and just think what those dogs would post. lol
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:43 pm

And when mouse traps fail?

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:21 am

I rigged up a fishing alarm set to it's loudest "Beeping" noise to help with keeping a thieving GSP I used to have off the kitchen work surfaces. He'd already been "snapped" by a previously placed mousetrap and I think the bite alarm just confirmed for him that kitchen work surfaces were not for him.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:43 pm

What works best is to train them to stay off the counter, starting when they are 6 weeks old. Supervise so they get corrected every time they even think about looking.

We adopted a dog who had been carefully trained that he could do whatever he wanted to do as long as no one saw him. One thing that worked (but only once) was to place a cookie sheet on the edge of the counter, hanging over just a little bit. Then I put a bunch of 8 ounce stainless dog dishes on the far end. He put his feet on the tray and everything fell, making a horrible noise. That kept him off the counter for a couple of months and he still won't get up there if there is cookie sheet.

A scat mat works really well. That worked to keep him off the sofa, and it would work on the counter, but it is a real nuisance to remove and replace every time you want to cook.

I set some food out and left the room. My son hid and caught him in the act and made the dog sorry. Three times of that treatment and the dog stopped.

One of the online catalogs used to sell a mousetrap with a weakened spring and a plastic flapper. I don't seem to be able to find any of those any more. Those work great if you can find them.

Constant supervision, crating, maybe a game camera to catch him in the act. If the are no negative consequences, he won't learn and in order to have negative consequences, you have to catch him in the act.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:31 pm

I just teach mine to sit .