PUPPY SHREDDING BIRD WING

Deroid226

Post by Deroid226 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:26 pm

Hey guys, I have a new 7 going to be 8 week old Vizsla. This is my first pointer that I have ever had. Tonight I pulled out a frozen pheasant wing and wow did this dog get excited. Iplayed keep away for a quick minute then I let him have it... then I threw it a few times and he almost retrieved...then stopped and then shred..... Is this a future problem ....If it is what do i do to fix it. or is this just the way of the young pup with a bird part instead on a whole bird.....I have not used a wing on a string yet..

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: PUPPY SHREDDING BIRD WING

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:23 pm

Not a problem for a pup. Forget the wing on the string. Get a good programme to follow. Enjoy. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:30 am

Puppies shred stuff its what they do.In fact most like to shred stuff their whole lives.8 weeks old is potty training time and not much else.Enjoy your puppy and by all means take your time.Get a program as Sharon said.Did i say this before? Take your time.You wont find many here that use wing on a string as it serves little purpose.Enjoy that puppy they are only puppies once.
"a man has got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood

Chicago Blackhawks Six Time Stanley Cup Champions

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:55 am

The problem is you gave him a wing. Pups will eat wings. Pretty normal. Not an exercise that you need to do.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Deroid226

Post by Deroid226 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Thanks guys...like I said this pup is smart. He is already mostly house broken, knows sit and kennel already....I think I got a good one here.....hope o don't screw him up...
About the program.....there are so many... any suggestions

Deroid226

Post by Deroid226 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:21 pm

What do you guys think of the Navhda training?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:51 pm

NAVHDA training has some good points but there are better programs for pointing dogs in my opinion. Their advantage is you can get hands on help from them normally but they are into control more than developing the dogs independence.

I am still concern though that you don't fully understand where you are in the puppies life and what it should be learning to now that will help as it grows up. We know pretty well that puppies should not be separated from the litter till they are at least 8 weeks old and 10 to 12 is even better. For the first few weeks you have her home the important thing is bonding and learning some house manners and a silent on your part walk or two per week plus learn that she needs to know where you are while also learning she can get a distance away in a field, where it will learn a little about the brand new wonderful world she lives in. Things like house breaking, her name, coming immediately everytime she is called. Also things like no biting, what she can chew on and what she can't. getting her toe nails cut, riding in a car, and the limits of her yard. So much to learn before we even worry about birds and hunting though they can be introduced as part of her environment. Leash and CC introduction and training needs to happen and meeting new people, dogs, and situations are maybe one of the most important thing you need to be doing. As I said somewhere else her bird dog training will start soon enough but she has so much more to learn before it becomes the main concern. So much to learn, so many health items to be done, and so much growing that is your first concern.

I really am not kidding when I say much of her bird training will happen between he 1st and 2nd birthday if you give her the chance to grow and discover what the world you are leading her into is all about.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:01 pm

ESZY give you good abvice kepp it simple call the dog by name ever time if useing crate say kennel when you put the dog in it make the pup wait when feeding and most important let it be a pup

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:31 am

Sounds like you will have that pup pointing grouse in the Catskills by the weekend D'roid :)
I would take 'Ezzy's' advice seriously and walk slowly before running full 'pelt'.
As for program's I would suggest 'Play and have fun' for now.

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:58 pm

Sounds like a great pup!

The hard part is surviving the "gotta knows"- the desire to push a little more every time pup does something bird doggish. Heed the wisdom and experience folks have shared with you, let the pup be a pup. Trust the breeding and concentrate on exposure, socialization and obedience for a few months before trying to make a great bird dog.

Let's see a picture of the wonder hound :)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:06 pm

I never let a puppy have a bird wing. Guy's I used to trial with knew it and every chance they got, they would throw wings to pup's I had along. Probably won't hurt them, I don't really know. But, not letting them have a wing at all in the chewing stage certainly doesn't hurt! These days I find I have little use for bird wings, haven't used them in years. Starting out, not force, I simply use a frozen pigeon and a check cord for the pup.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Deroid226

Post by Deroid226 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:23 pm

I am not trying to push bird work at all. I have seen several trainers once a week let pups play with bird wings. I am no where able to argue for either side, but it kind of makes sense that playing with some birds and wings as pup is not the end of the world. I do agree with you can't let them find the wing they need to get it from you so they don't search for dead birds.
Right now this little guy is doing nothing else but learning the basics like every other dog I have had. But he seems to be a fast learner. He is definitely benifiting from my other 2.
I really appreciate the advice and I am also going to join navy's a.
How are the perfect start perfect finish dvds

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:35 pm

Deroid226 wrote:I
How are the perfect start perfect finish dvds
Perfect start/ perfect finish is a excellent program IMO --- but be aware that with this program you need a LOT, repeat a LOT of pigeons. Since the pup is very young, now would be a good time to start a pigeon coop that way you'll have a good supply of reusable birds when he is old enough. :D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:49 pm

You do know that the wing has very little if any connection to a live bird. You will get the same reaction from a little pup with a shopping bac on a string as you will a dried up half rotten old bunch of feathers tied together. I am not against using the wing or bag on a string but the main purpose is to make you feel good. What you are describing about your pups behavior is how most pups react but I have also seen many pups hat ignored it and they turn out just as good as the rest.

Have fun with your pup, it will become a birddog pup in a few months and then the fun really begins.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GSPONPOINT32

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:16 pm

I was worried all the time with my pup that I messed up. Bottom line is he turned out great because i followed Hickox program to the letter. If training isn't going the way you want I stopped and just went for a walk or threw a bumper for fun. Evaluated over night and got back at it the next day. 99% the next day went much better. Be patient and good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk