What to do next on point training?

Jedi Woodsman

What to do next on point training?

Post by Jedi Woodsman » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:41 pm

I have Rusty my Brittany. I haven't came across any birds. I want to get in some practice. How would you teach a dog to '"point"? I have found a pheasant farm not too far from me. I'm thinking about clipping it's wings or tie a rope to it so won't go far. I wanna try to keep his skills "fresh" to point. The "retrieveing to hand" comes later.

Rusty is a fully trained dog. I wanna keep up with practice, both for me and Rusty. (American Britt Spaniel)

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:00 pm

IF your brittany is fully trianed...Which little FYI not spaniel they dropped that back in the mid 80's)
GO to the preserve the owner you got him from should have given you what his command s are and if he had a e collar and how to use it properly ..Maybe ask someone at the preserve if they could assist you and help you with your new old boy

more then likely if the old dog has been trianed and hunted you should be able to just go out and hunt him with out check cords and puppy stuff...
Also More then likely you will need way more training and Rusty will probably be happy to teach you :lol:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:36 pm

You will be surprised. They do not forget.If he did it right before he will probably go right out and look like he had been on birds last week.

Jedi Woodsman

Post by Jedi Woodsman » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:20 pm

I read a exert from the Pointing dog journal about dogs marking territory how this can be a bad thing since they don't own anything, but we own them. The last time I took Rusty out in the field he was marking territory.

I also maybe think that I may be using the ecollar too often, messing up his training.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:57 pm

Jedi, Marking territory is normal for adult male dogs so forget that.

I am concerned about the e-collar and what you are doing with it and also what training you are working on when you are using it. I can't think that an eleven year old dog should need much correcting with a collar if you are just out exercising him.

Try to give us more info and stop using the collar till you find out for sure what you are doing with it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:27 pm

What Rick Smith was refering to ..is there are times when your dog should be on your time basically...and ottering and marking around is just that..them blowing you off and doing theri own thing
A dog that is serious and hunting will not be pissing around.

he even states that "the dog the spends alot of time marking fences posts etc is staking claim and thus portraiting a Dominat behovior over you and teh other dogs in the field..not tobe confused with aggression it is still a behavior that needs to be dealt with and moving the dog along

He states when you have 2 males dog marking everything in sight that it can POTENTIALLY lead to a fight

Rick has a super insight in to dogs. HE has a great way of explaining helping owners have better relations with their dogs both in the home and in the field...
if you ever have a chance to attend one of the foundation seminars..it is well worth it.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:25 am

Please do not take offense to this, but in reading your post I assume you are new to pointing dogs. Therefore, I would take some "lessons" from a seasoned pro or find a well respected amateur who can teach you while showing you how to properly work your dog. A new owner with even a well trained dog can spell major faults in the dog that are quite difficult to fix later. Spend some money on your own training so that you can help further develop this dog. I assume the person you purchased the dog from was an honest trainer who showed you the dog's skills prior to the purchase. That trainer should help you in person if possible.

Jedi Woodsman

Post by Jedi Woodsman » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:06 pm

K9, The original owner is in Thailand. Remember the breeding debate?
Anyways, I think what it is : I'm shocking him when I shouldn't when I want him to work close with-in 60' ahead, I'd call hm to me when he don't come but still looks, He is 150' ahead of me. Then i'd zap on the lowest settings 1-3.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:39 pm

What is the terrain your working him in..
that also has alot to do with a way a seasoned dog will work

if what is in front of you really isn't the type of cover that will hold birds the dog will hopefully go to where the birds are and hold point till you get there

hard to say ...I was hoping the guy went over the dogs commands with you when you got him

try to hook up with some of the brittany members close to you they could help you hands on with how to trust and work with rusty
kinda hard being new but there are some that are more then happy to help a new kid on the block learn to have fun

HUTCH

Post by HUTCH » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:48 am

put the ecollar down and get the book called " Best way to train your gun dog" by Bill Tarrant and follow it thru till the end. you will have a nice dog to hunt behind. good luck.

Brandon

Hotpepper

Book

Post by Hotpepper » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:23 pm

Read Delmar Smith's Bird Dog Training book, it is very good.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me