Force Fetch

QuillGordon

Force Fetch

Post by QuillGordon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:27 am

Looking for ideas and methods to follow for force fetching me youngster GSP. I've never done this sort of training before as I've always been lucky in getting natural retrieving pups. Not that this pup needs much help, he retrieve's to hand with a little coaxing but he is a bit of a hard mouth so I thought I would explore some options & pick the brains of fellers who are well skooled in this arena.
Thanks in advance for your participation...

art hubbard

Re: Force Fetch

Post by art hubbard » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:35 pm

Beautiful looking pup and cool picture....

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:17 am

Evan Graham's Smart Fetch is the bible.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:17 am

x2 on Evan Graham
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

Meskousing

Post by Meskousing » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:28 pm

X3 on SmartFetch. I'm a neophyte, but I used it and found it to be very doable for a guy like me. Get the book and DVD. You won't regret it.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:21 pm

X4 If there is any hope Evan's program has help 1000's of folks across the USA and canada. The other alternative is to hire a PRO.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:43 pm

Bible's are for followers who believe every word . You can't just pick out the chapters you like .
If You haven't walked on water before don't try it unless Moses is with you showing how .
If Evan's or Blogg's is your choice then go visit them . The Book has many interpretations ..on Your part . (is my advice) ..Never met any trainer that sells books or dvd's . I'm sure they are brilliant Trainers .
How good are You with Your dog ?

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:13 pm

Robt., given what benefit ol' Quill wants from force fetch - as he's detailed above - shouldn't you as a fixer of problem gundogs or gundog problems think about advising him (at a cost, perhaps) about your ingenious plan "applied" few years back to a dog that bit down on game a little too enthusiastically?
polmaise wrote:Bible's are for followers who believe every word . You can't just pick out the chapters you like .
If You haven't walked on water before don't try it unless Moses is with you showing how .
If Evan's or Blogg's is your choice then go visit them . The Book has many interpretations ..on Your part . (is my advice) ..Never met any trainer that sells books or dvd's . I'm sure they are brilliant Trainers .

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:49 pm

crackerd wrote:Robt., given what benefit ol' Quill wants from force fetch - as he's detailed above - shouldn't you as a fixer of problem gundogs or gundog problems think about advising him (at a cost, perhaps) about your ingenious plan "applied" few years back to a dog that bit down on game a little too enthusiastically?
polmaise wrote:Bible's are for followers who believe every word . You can't just pick out the chapters you like .
Nope!! It would be a 'parlour trick' ! ..
Anyhow that one just fixed that one...
As for 'Force Fetch' ..I as a 'so called trainer' had real problems with this the first time and the second and beyond ....Even had real problems with the 'ethos' and discussion with 'experienced' trainers on it when I visited the US. ! ..So i'm pretty confident Mr 'who just wants an obedient dog and a pet in the house' ..ain't gonna get it with his or her dog first time puppy and or second or third time dog 'cause they have old 'duffer and Drudge ' on the porch . :)

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:26 pm

Thanks gents.
I received some excellent advice via PM to which I'm going to follow. Not a FF method but more fitting for where I believe my young GSP is at. I wanna type here that the man nailed it & probably due to the initial post could sense the right way to go. These forums are worth their weight in gold when it comes to knowledgeable trainers.

Thanks for your time
Tom