Correction Question

wlarmouth

Correction Question

Post by wlarmouth » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:15 am

Hello!

Our little GSP just turned 9 weeks old yesterday, and is already signalling when she needs to go outside! Win!

The question I have, is that I have seen mixed opinions on when "correction" should be applied. We are trying to keep her out of her sister's raised food bowl, as well as from climbing the baby gates we use to corral her. Traditionally, we have used the old rolled up newspaper to swat with (we've raised about 14 GSPs at this point as a family, but this is the first on my own), but I was reading that it may be too early to use any kind of correction at all in the 8-11 week time frame. I was just hoping for some thoughts on the matter, and I thank you all in advance!! :lol:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Correction Question

Post by Sharon » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:47 pm

Sure gentle correction can be used now. In the two situations you mentioned, just removing the pup is all that is needed with a simple "no". Dogs learned from habit. I'm not sure wanting to eat from another dog's food bowl ever ends. I feed mine in separate rooms.
Rolled up newspapers etc should never be used.Very easy to make a dog hand shy doing that which is NOT what you want.

Welcome to the forum. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:41 pm

good answers from Sharon. As for keeping her out of her sister's raised food bowl, give up. Or keep it empty. Are you allowing self-feeding? I feed my dogs in separate rooms, too. They all get along,but it seems sensible.

wlarmouth

Post by wlarmouth » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:13 pm

Hello and thanks for the replies (and good advice!)

We do not self-feed, we have her on a schedule, and we've just altered the older dog's schedule a bit so that she can eat when the pupper is in her crate. Good news is the big dog is pretty docile when she gets in her food, so that's one thing we don't have to worry about (yet).

Now the problem is getting the little one to "come." Sit has been pretty successful, and "stay" and "kennel" to an extent. But even using treats, she wants to look at us, and run away to play chase. First one I've had that does this, actually! I've always had luck that once we had their attention, "come" was the first and easiest command. Any suggestions? Thinking about a check line and gently "forcing" her to come.

Thanks!

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:41 am

A check-cord should be completely unnecessary at that age. Just move away from the pup or ignore it for a while. Don't tell her to come if it does not look likely that she will .....perhaps give a treat when she does come to call but I seldom do that. Try to use an "inviting" voice rather than a commanding one at the age your pup is at.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:00 am

At nine weeks old this pup is equivalent to a human infant! Although they can run around and play they really are just babies! Very little formal training is appropriate, unless you make it purely play time. I tie a string a couple of feet long and let them drag it around to begin getting used to a collar and lead. I play fetch with a toy in a confined area like a hallway, but never take the toy away from them, just try and get them to bring it back and get a bunch of love and play for reward. I will work on setting for a treat and maybe down for a treat...but nothing more at this age.

Don't rush training, enjoy them as puppies, as this time lasts such a short time....