Whoa breaking after force fetch??

MSU Aggie

Whoa breaking after force fetch??

Post by MSU Aggie » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:47 pm

So I force fetched my 1 yr old gsp in January/February and have been running drills with him ever since. My question is has anyone had any luck with moving into whoa breaking right after ff? I understand both are hard on the pup and usually I would put a hunting season between the two, but training season hasn't really kicked in yet and I'm looking into options other than more force to piles and such.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Whoa breaking after force fetch??

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:59 am

Whoa training is no more than obedience, similar to the "stay" command. I ff'd my 9 month old this winter and also obedience trained her. She hunted all fall as a 6 month old. You have to understand that sometimes when you try to steady a dog AFTER ff, the two are contradictory. Now pup has to stand the bird instead of diving for it and retrieving it. Hopefully, the pup had a ton of bird encounters before the ff.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:14 am

Thanks for the response, I guided with him so he had lots of birds. I think I'm going to give it a shot. Have an agressive target for him to be finished for fall, but don't want to be stupid about it either.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:53 pm

With FF completed your dog has learn how to learn. personally i have found this to be great time in the pups life to teach steady to wing and shot. Keep up a good pace in teaching new standards and reinforcing previously learned behaviors.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.