Hiccup in force-fetch

idahomarine

Hiccup in force-fetch

Post by idahomarine » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:14 pm

Everyone:

I decided to give it a go again and I am force-fetching my 2-year-old Vizsla/Brittany mix. He is doing well with hold and will follow me around with the paint roller just fine. I started the ear pinch a week and a half ago and at first he was doing great, but lately seems to be shutting down. He picked up that he was to open his mouth pretty quick and last week he started reaching a couple inches as soon as he felt the pressure, but before I gave the command. After he did that a regularly, I started giving the command first, then applying pressure if he did not immediately respond. He did great the first few times, but has stopped responding and I am having to force the roller back into his mouth. Should I go back to the pressure then command? If not, what do you do to get a dog moving along?

I apply just enough pressure to get a response and I make sure to not show anger to him, so I don't think it's that. My schedule only allows for one session per day and I keep it under 10 minutes. Any thoughts?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Hiccup in force-fetch

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:10 am

Are you praising him or giving him a small treat when he does it correctly?

Did you start him with the jowl fetch?

If he is holding great, and follows you with the roller until told to release, why ff him?
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

idahomarine

Post by idahomarine » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:57 am

I give him praise when he does it right, but no treats. He isn't very food motivated. He retrieves pretty well, but won't reliably retrieve birds that fall on the far bank of moving water (he's fine if they are in the water or dry land, but if they land on the opposite bank, he swims over sniffs it, and then swims back).

bumper52

Post by bumper52 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:58 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfhVdmrpvPA

Your experience is very common. I would back up a step and not have your dog reach for the bumper. Your dog is telling you now that you are going too quickly. To go forward, take a step back. Reaching for the bumper and picking it up off the floor are steps that are HUGE in ff. Don't rush it...it will happen. Also, don't go beyond 10 minutes...end each session on a positive note.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:19 pm

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Post a short video, so we can see the dog's reactions.

idahomarine

Post by idahomarine » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:18 am

I could capture a good video, but I can describe it. He just clams up. He won't open his mouth and I have to force it in. He looks down and appears generally dejected. I try to keep the pressure to the lowest amount possible. Is he just a soft dog?
Last edited by idahomarine on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:39 am

I would take GH up on his willingness to review a video...just sayin'

My take from your description, fwiw.

Keep it up and do not baby him or stop. Remain diligent but most importantly, patient - give him time to work it out and toughen up..you’re at a critical stage and the dog needs to understand that he can sulk all he wants but it aint’ gonna’ change the fact that he must complete the task at hand. If a goodly portion of the session involves sulking..keep at it and help him be successful..once that happens, quit—like right now and praise him up. From there, just build on that, progressively, as days go by..even if it’s one small step at a time until it becomes consistently positive with readily given compliance.

Once you’ve completed a session, play with him and use your demeanor, while playing, in a manner that conveys to him the level of satisfaction you have with him during that days session.

He’s trying to train you.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:53 pm

Is your dog soft or playing off your own softness ? I've seen dogs play soft because they know you are soft. Turn up the heat, maybe. FF IMO is not a compromise, You win. Your dog might be used to this. If he sulks you will back off. A scenario you might have created . Your dog will play the sulk crap at first because he gets his way by playing you. JMO.

idahomarine

Post by idahomarine » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:52 pm

Sorry. I meant to say, couldn't capture the video. I'll try again to get one today.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:47 pm

Reason I want to see the video is that many times I see what you can't describe and in fact YOU don't see.

idahomarine

Post by idahomarine » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:55 pm

How do I post a video? If you PM me your email, I could send it to you.