Seeking Brittany Help

shanejo

Seeking Brittany Help

Post by shanejo » Thu May 11, 2017 8:21 pm

Hey all,

Have a question regarding our 9 mo. old Brittany. From what I understand all Brittany spaniels whine when stressed or excited. However, our Brittany has begun to have excessive whining. For example, if I go in the backyard and he is inside he will sit there and whine and cry so loud it sounds like he is being tortured or murdered (I am not exaggerating). One day, the neighbor even came out thinking he was in trouble. Is there anything that can be done to help with this? I have an e-collar but do not know if that would be any helpful and do not want to use if not necessary.

Also, he does not seem to like to lay or curl up on the couch with people. This is the first dog we've had that doesn't do this. Is this something he will grow out of or is it just his personality?

Thanks!

Dakotazeb

Re: Seeking Brittany Help

Post by Dakotazeb » Fri May 12, 2017 6:26 am

shanejo wrote:Hey all,

Have a question regarding our 9 mo. old Brittany. From what I understand all Brittany spaniels whine when stressed or excited. However, our Brittany has begun to have excessive whining. For example, if I go in the backyard and he is inside he will sit there and whine and cry so loud it sounds like he is being tortured or murdered (I am not exaggerating). One day, the neighbor even came out thinking he was in trouble. Is there anything that can be done to help with this? I have an e-collar but do not know if that would be any helpful and do not want to use if not necessary.

Also, he does not seem to like to lay or curl up on the couch with people. This is the first dog we've had that doesn't do this. Is this something he will grow out of or is it just his personality?

Thanks!
All Brittanys do not whine like you described. In fact, I would say yours is a very rare exception. Sounds like the dog is suffering some separation disorder and anxiety. DO NOT use an e-collar to try and correct this. How long have you had this dog? How old was he when you got him? Is this only happening when you leave or when any member of your family leaves? How long has he been displaying this behavior?

And just and FYI. Brittanys have not been called spaniels since some time in the 1980's. Spaniel was dropped from their name.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

shanejo

Post by shanejo » Fri May 12, 2017 6:34 am

He was 8 weeks when we got him. He does it anytime someone leaves the house or if we are outside and go to the front of the house, leaving him in the yard. I figured it was seperation anxiety, but how does one correct this? He is still a puppy so should be able to I would think? Thanks again

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri May 12, 2017 2:49 pm

I have an 11 1/2 year old that is the same. Whines/cries when left alone and is aloof in the house.
My dog is on tranquilizers so I can get a night's sleep - and the dog can. :)

For a puppy though, I would try to ignore this behaviour and not reward it in any way - no comforting when crying.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Mon May 15, 2017 6:02 pm

do not give in this in that i mean if the dog acts that way and you go open the door and let him out he thinks that his behaver made it happen the dog will do that evertime you just dont pay no att. to this behaver

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:59 am

It is true that you cant give in to this behavior. But you can't ignore it either. That dog is stressed out, making him deal with it on his own will stress him out even more. Sounds like time and work is the solution just like everything else.
Keep him occupied when he is alone in whichever way suits him. A toy, some food, whatever. Watch him in secret and when he starts to show signs of being uncomfortable. Stop the experiment and reward him with your company. Teach him through a positive that he is ok if you aren't there. Gradually increase the duration and you will get there. Its going to take A LOT of work. I know of a few dogs that are medicated for this but I'm not a big fan of that with a bird dog. Is the dog happy and comfortable in his crate? If he is give him access to it outdoors, that may help a lot although Im sure it wont solve it.
You have a Brittany, its a true companion dog more so than a lot of breeds. Sorry to other breed owners who get offended by that but its the truth. Anyone who has been exposed to a lot of different dogs in high doses can tell you that. But that high level of vocalization is the dogs way of speaking to you. He's upset, more than likely frightened by your absence. You just have to teach him that all is still right in the world if he's on his own for a little while. I urge you not to let him cope with this on his own. Imagine him as a child who just watched him mom and dad walk out the door and disappear. He doesn't know that you're going for milk, he just thinks he's being left behind.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed May 24, 2017 1:10 pm

Sounds to me like a spoiled dog. It's got it's way whining so many time's that it's the first choice to get what it want'. Stormy is sort of like that. When he want's a biscuit, he want's it right now and I will pay if I don't get him one right away, my fault! :-)
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed May 24, 2017 3:14 pm

The Smith Silent Command System Figure 8 worked well for me. It isn't an instant fix and takes time and patience, but it works. Basically you stake the dog out ( or maybe in your case put him on the other side of a baby gate in the house) and
apply the Figure 8. Ignore any noise, but when he shuts up, remove the cord. When he starts up again, put the cord back on and repeat the process as many times as it takes. Just so you know for reference, it took one of my stubborn dogs 108 repeats to finally get it, but it broke the noise habit for the rest of his life.

The Silent Command foundation dvd might have a sequence on it. Sorry, don't remember.

Here's the Figure Eight https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dSEPHyQH1Us

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon May 29, 2017 6:18 am

Have you tried leaving a radio on when you go out ? Maybe even make a tape of your voice and play it when you leave for short periods.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon May 29, 2017 8:08 am

shanejo wrote:He was 8 weeks when we got him. He does it anytime someone leaves the house or if we are outside and go to the front of the house, leaving him in the yard. I figured it was seperation anxiety, but how does one correct this? He is still a puppy so should be able to I would think? Thanks again
I think he wants to go with you and he's trying to boss you around. Somewhere along the line, you have given him the responce he's looking for when he whines. When I take my dogs for a run, the others carry on like that until I am out of ear shot then they go back to what they are doing (my wife tells me). The adult dogs don't bother any more.