Check Cord Training

AceofSpades41

Check Cord Training

Post by AceofSpades41 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:31 am

Folks

When training a pup what length of check cord do you use? 10 ft, 15, ft, 20ft or larger? Is there a particular brand or does it matter? If so, why does it matter?

Thanks

Ace

gr_elliott

Post by gr_elliott » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:07 am

not sure what the correct answer is, hopfully one of the pro's will chime in. I started with a 20' and it worked well, until I started to run the dog planted birds. I now have a 30' check cord also.

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:41 am

I like a 30ft lead for most training. Good luck

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:00 am

The most important part of any check cord is to be sure that it is fairly stiff so that it does not get hung up. Most of my check cords are about 20 ft. long. I buy rope and soak the rope in Elmers wood glue. Then I wipe off the excess glue and hang to dry. The glue makes the check cord stiff and also water proof.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:28 pm

I like the 30' lariat style cords. I actually use them from 15' on up, but never longer than the 30'. The lariat style cords won't tangle in brush, collect thorns, etc. and they don't tangle.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:02 pm

I use a 20' PMI mountain climbing rope. It will not tangle and will last forever. (PMI stands for Pigeon Mt Ind) which is a couple of miles from us fortunatly. But they sell it in REI and lots of sports stores.
brenda

BOSUN

Post by BOSUN » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:26 am

We have to use the stiff rope cowboys use so it won't pick up goat-heads and sand burrs.

Thor

Post by Thor » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:41 pm

I pefer a fairly long check cord. Around 30 ft., it allows me to get a good grip on the dog from a fair distance away. Every dog will at first do it's worst as you get closer(putting pressure on the pup). But most importantly, like the previous posts said, make sure it is stiff. Less likly to wrap around objects in the field. Another way to stiffen a rope up, is by getting it muddy.

NVgsp

Post by NVgsp » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:34 pm

I have to go the other way...the length I use and prefer is 12'. It has worked out perfect. Like Snips I had REI cut down a static climbing rope. Combine that w/ a Dave Walker pinch collar and you are ready to rock and roll.
Chris