GSP marking in the house

nmorris

GSP marking in the house

Post by nmorris » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:42 pm

Looking for some advice please. Our 9 month old GSP started lifting his leg and marking a few weeks ago. Trees, light posts, etc., no big deal. The issue is anytime he goes to my mothers or in-laws, he marks all over the house, as well as does his best to get to the basement and poop on the floor. Both these houses have older dogs and I suspect this is part of the reason. We keep on top of him and scold him when we catch him, though he is extremely persistent and entire visits are spent trying to monitor him, Also, it is definitely not from lack of being taken outside to pee, he is brought out very often on visits.

So my questions are: In your experience, has neutering helped stop this behavior? If you have experienced this issue, what has worked for you to stop it?

Inexperienced owner here, looking for any and all suggestions. If this has been covered, or if I am posting in the wrong location, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Nathan

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP marking in the house

Post by cjhills » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:11 pm

Neutering won't help. Training will. Is he crate trained? If he is keep him in the crate at your mothers. If not Crate train him........Cj

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:10 pm

cjhills wrote:Neutering won't help. Training will. Is he crate trained? If he is keep him in the crate at your mothers. If not Crate train him........Cj

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:50 am

If I catch one of my dogs starting to lift a leg in the house I do more than scold him.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:36 pm

Good advice has been given. Neutering does nothing to stop a dog from marking. As greg alluded to, the correction has to match the severity of the crime. Marking in the house might as well be murder as far as I'm concerned. Not acceptable. You mentioned he marks a lot outside as well. I do not allow that. They don't need to do it. Just like a female that first pee that they go for is sufficient. Anything else is just poor behavior and a bad habit. Nip it in the bud now. I cringe when I see people walking their dog and letting it lift it's leg on every bush or pole they walk by. A walk is for walking not peeing on everything in sight.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:39 pm

Then don't take a JRT for a walk. :) They are VERY territorial and try to mark everything to claim the neighbourhood.

Morris : You've rec'd good advice about crating. Dogs learn from repetitive habit. Normally it won't pee in its crate , so you get in the habit of taking it out of its crate and immediately outside to pee.
Once there is a change in habit, crating becomes less necessary.

I also don't give my dogs the run of the house
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:45 pm

Sharon wrote:Morris : You've rec'd good advice about crating. Dogs learn from repetitive habit. Normally it won't pee in its crate , so you get in the habit of taking it out of its crate and immediately outside to pee.
Once there is a change in habit, crating becomes less necessary.

I also don't give my dogs the run of the house
Good advice all around, but while it seems silly to praise for whizzing, you should do so the first time he does after you take him directly outside from his crate.

Given your problems, Sharon's last statement is accurate. He should be either watched or in his crate until you 100% straighten this out ...plus one month.

nmorris

Post by nmorris » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:40 pm

Thanks for the prompt replies everyone! He is crate trained, though we have only been using it at our house and not when we visit our parents. The plan I think will be to watch him like a hawk and more severe discipline when he lifts his leg.

More advice, experience and techniques always welcomed! Thanks again!