Gun intro-training

Max2

Gun intro-training

Post by Max2 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:32 am

How would some of you deal with gun intro if you had no control over gun noise ? If you were in a situation where you just never knew when it could happen ? Say you were hang'n/training with a new pup and out of nowhere lot's of shooting and noise. I ask because I would like to get a new dog but live in an area with lots of firearms and quite honestly you never know when they will go off. My last dog Max was gun broke and hunted over for a number of yrs until one day I could tell he wasn't liking all the shooting. Thank goodness he never minded me shooting over him while hunting. If we weren't hunting he didn't like it or at least he seemed to be more aware of it.

I guess my biggest problem is now I am gun shy. I fear to put a pup into a bad situation. Years ago you plinked with a 22- now these days it's black guns - load a clip and empty it. I don't know what makes these firearms so loud ? Would I be foolish to try and bring a pup into this type situation. Would it be crazy ? or could it be done ? I can't always take a dog with me anymore so there would be times when he would have to stay home. That's where I really would have no control over the situation. Other then be sure all the windows are closed. I am a carpenter by trade and could build a sound proof kennel in my house and have considered that option . Any input or should I say "positive" input would be appreciated . Serious replys only - please.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Gun intro-training

Post by shags » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:26 am

I womder if in your situation all that gumfire would be just normal background noise to a new pup? Is it noise or can you feel percussion?

We've raised our dogs with no consideration about keeping things quiet for them, as far as normal household and farm noise goes. I think that helps. We have times when neighbors shoot, and the dogs initially are alert to it, but then mostly ignore it. If the dogs seem bothered, I bring them in and turn on the tv or radio and that masks the gunshots. Before deer and turkey season, and around certain holidays (times when almost for sure the neighbors are going to be sighting in their weapons or having fireworks, if we leave the dogs home alone, the radio is playing...just in case. If the volume bothers them they are free to move to another room.

We sometimes trial at a grounds adjacent to a sheriff dept shooting range, and if the dogs are staked out and the barrage seems to be getting to them, we put them up in the truck or horse trailer, with the radio on also.

Best of luck, I hope you can find a way to manage the problem so you can get that new dog.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Thank You & yes you can feel the percussion. It stink's actually . If they touch off one of those exploding targets let me say this "you know it" :( The fact that my last dog was gun broke has me concerned. I used to leave him out in his kennel while I was gone for the day so who knows what happened while I was away. For the past 6 yrs I never put him in the outdoor kennel again. ~ He survived ! Either with me or in the house while no one was home . Windows closed and tv on. ~ Helped
I hate being dog~less but would feel worse to screw one up .

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:07 am

Haven't had much luck getting a post in here. My computer blinks and I have to start all over. Something to think about, no dog is born being afraid of a gun! Very few bird dogs are born afraid of loud noise. A dog that is afraid of loud noise was taught that by some human without a clue what he/she was doing. A dog that is afraid of the sight of a gun is that way because they figured out where the noise that scares them is coming from. Gun dog's are not born gun shy for the most part, they are made that way. Don't startle your pup with A GUN. want to get started young? Take a shotgun shell and drill out the primer pocket to 1/4". You can put in a primer and remove it with your hands. Load it in your gun and fire it and it will give a very mute sound that won't bother much of any dog. Dog can associate that low noise with the gun but it won't bother the dog. Move on from there. I start with a 22 rifle. I use the rifle because I can hold the muzzle near the ground and muffle the sound. As the pup get's used to it, raise the muzzle farther from the ground and the noise get's louder. When starting out, don't fire anything very close to the pup, let it get off 20-30 yards and into some cover, not paying attention to you. Fire and watch the pup closely, it will react the first time but you need to inturpet the reaction. Is the pup startled or just courious about a new sound. What ever happen's, don't say a word to the pup, keep walking like nothing happened. If it does scare it and it come's to you, ignore it and keep walking. shot test for the day ends right there but the walk goes on. Then wait several day's before you attempt it again but take the walk every day. Keep the noise of the shot low and work into louder shot's.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Max2

Post by Max2 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:08 pm

Don F
thank you for responding to my post. I always read and appreciate what you have to offer to the forum. Please re-read my first question. I feel comfortable with how max was initially introduced to the gun. Having hunted probably 4 yrs with no issue. By not getting many responses ~ I feel that is my answer~ Id be taking a chance to bring a pup into my surroundings . Now I am thinking a started or finished dog may work better this time. ~ And never leave him unattended in my yard as I had many times with max feeling he would be safe. Big mistake . :( This question is a hard one for a couple paragraphs.
Being dog-less stinks !

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:42 am

Being dogless does stink. The last time that happened to me was about 19 early80's. I'd lost my Skipper and was really in a funk! He was a springer spaniel and I really love the old guy. Looked at springer litter's for about 6 mos and finally gave up. I realized what was happening was I was really looking for him! So went to look at a litter of shorthair's and found my Hannah. She has been gone a long time now, died at a couple days under 15 in 2000. The incident with Skipper taught me to never live with just one dog again.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!