Maryland Sporting Dog Training Day - TV Program

fourseasons

Maryland Sporting Dog Training Day - TV Program

Post by fourseasons » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:54 pm

Fun TV spot taken by Outdoor Delmarva of a recent Maryland Sporting Dog Association training day at Petersburg DE. I joined up with MSDA back in the 70's (yeah, no geezer jokes please - I was a 'chit of a child' back then, and yes the word is chit and not misspelled <G>) and have seen a number of beginner bird dog owners start with MSDA and later go on to become top field trial, NAVHDA and hunting test competitors/eventers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItFurUC ... e=youtu.be

birddogger2

Re: Maryland Sporting Dog Training Day - TV Program

Post by birddogger2 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:20 pm

Thanks for posting the link. I enjoyed watching it.

I was over helping out with the pointing dogs, so I did not get to see any of the water or spaniel work in person.

I think WBOC did a nice job covering the event. They definitely captured the flavor of the event. I sincerely hope they will follow up this fall with coverage of one or more field events at the C & R center.

MSDA is a fine group of folks. They are truly committed to the entire spectrum of sporting dog activitiesfro,m conformation to field trial and everything in between. If you own a sporting dog in the Delmarva region, the MDSA has something for you.

Heck they even put up with ME!!

RayG

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:39 am

Ditto to what Ray said, 4S - great stuff, and in our own (mine and Ray's, and apparently yours once upon a time) backyard! I've had an affiliation with Md. Sporting Dog Club that started almost 25 years ago when they let me run a six-month-old Boykin as a "demonstration dog" in a spaniel hunt test. (AKC's sporting rep at the time was Ham Rowan of "L'Guyland," N.Y., who essentially started spaniel HTs and had a mud poodle of his own named "Dixie.")

This club while heavily tilted toward the show fancy as I recall still stands for the greater good of gundogs of all breeds, and is to be saluted for that. If I recall correctly, they (in the guise of one "Smokey" Hiles) were wanting to pair off with NAVHDA's Potomac chapter as well and at one time was going in with NAHRA the retrieving org., which had a Southern Maryland Retriever Club. And using the Norman Wilder Wildlife Area in Petersburg, Del., and the new C&R Center for their endeavors is a great stroke.

Meanwhile, speaking of NAVHDA, given your New (Zealand) haunts, have you connected with any like-minded individuals over there? I know and know of a few, it's great turf for versatile breeds (pointing - and retrieving - peacocks!) but I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. But what I don't know is how you - and from where - you made your emigration?

And thanks for sharing the video from 'BOC's Outdoors Delmarva and to Ray thanks for joining in with the club's training - right sporting of you, as would be expected of all Hartly American sportsmen!

MG
birddogger2 wrote:Thanks for posting the link. I enjoyed watching it.

I was over helping out with the pointing dogs, so I did not get to see any of the water or spaniel work in person.

I think WBOC did a nice job covering the event. They definitely captured the flavor of the event. I sincerely hope they will follow up this fall with coverage of one or more field events at the C & R center.

MSDA is a fine group of folks. They are truly committed to the entire spectrum of sporting dog activitiesfro,m conformation to field trial and everything in between. If you own a sporting dog in the Delmarva region, the MDSA has something for you.

Heck they even put up with ME!!

RayG

fourseasons

Post by fourseasons » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:58 pm

In NZ we run our Pointers (shipped our dogs over when we moved a few years ago) with several gun dog groups - training days here also include spaniels, retrievers, setters and pointers. We also have wild California and brown quail (see my Avatar), and ringneck pheasant, on our property and surrounding properties. The brown quail come up by the house for 'hand outs' when the chickens (called 'chooks' here) are fed, which can drive the dogs batty. One day our oldest dog started down the steps to go out to pee, and a covey of about 9 browns were casually sauntering past the bottom of the steps - poor dog locked up mid stride on the steps with hind foot in the air, stayed steady while the birds dawdled slowly along, and I had to go out and flush the birds away in order to release the dog so he could get back to his own business <G>. Pointing breed field trials are generally run either on wild birds or pigeons in launchers. Wild bird trials generally run continuous course, with all handlers hiking (tramping) with their dogs on leads along behind the running dogs (no horseback trials). We all bring/wear backpacks with our dog water, bowls, snacks, other gear as we can be a very long way from the base camp, and for a long period of time - we also carry our shotguns with us for the whole tramp. In those trials braced dogs are down for about 10 minutes per brace, then next brace takes up from there, and on until all dogs have run through the first heat. Judges then select dogs they want to see run again for the second heat, and finally a third heat is where dogs in contention for placements are selected. If dogs don't have bird work, they can't place. Trial areas can be all wooded, open grasslands, hills, valleys, etc. Pigeon trials have live pigeons in launchers - and if a dog grabs a pigeon and does any damage, the handler has to pay for the bird ;-) Pigeon trials are run generally over the same course for each brace vs. continuous. Handlers must carry shotguns during their braces, and shoot blank shells over the dogs. Here are a few photos from a training day in NZ - note that tail docking is a no-no here, so Vizsla, Weim, GSP, GWP, spaniels, etc. have long tails unless they were imported from another country with their tails already docked.
DSCF0058 (Large).JPG
DSCF0103 (Large).JPG
DSCF0140 (Large).JPG
DSCF0138 (Large).JPG