New to training...Advise please

NorthFloridaFella

Post by NorthFloridaFella » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:57 pm

Hello, this is my first post and I'm looking for any tips on training my 10 week old Brittany. Her great granddaddy was Nolan's Last Bullet, so I know she has to have a little bit of something in her.

Anyhow, I do a lot of dove hunting when it is in season and would do more quail if I had a trained dog.

So I am interested in advice, recommendations on training books, and any other valuable resources out there.

This is my third Brittany so I am very familiar with the breed, just have had horrible luck due to a snake bite and a car in the past four years.

I live in the Tallahassee area so if there are any folks in the area that would like to show me some pointers that would be great too.

God Bless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meller

Re: New to training...Advise please

Post by Meller » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:02 am

the book training with Mo, by Maurice Lindly.
Might also look at steady with style, on your computer .

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:32 am

I would never start a pup on Doves! Usually a dove hunt involves a bunch of hunters in an area with potentially lots of guns firing and birds dropping all over. A young dog can get gun shy or start running on birds that were not shot by you. Also, dove have an unusual amount of down feathers that come off in the mouth when fetched, dogs don't like to mouth them. Finally, dove do not carry a strong scent, young dogs can have trouble finding them...which for a young dog is a bad experience.

After you dog is fully trained and seasoned on a few hunts on other game birds, then you can get dove....

Good Luck

tekoa

Post by tekoa » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:16 pm

I've trained six pointing dogs in the last 10 years. Three each on George Hickox, and Jon Hann (Perfection Kennels) methods. Both worked very well for me. Both systems use low level stimulation e-collar. Jon's system requires more birds and produces a pretty polished gundog, but takes a bit longer to finish the dog for trialing. Hickox method produces a dog ready for derby trials in a fairly short time, but dog is fairly mechanical until he's had a year of exposure to more (wild) birds.

I also attended seminars with both trainers. These were extremely useful in helping me avoid mistakes in applying their training methods to my dogs.

My son has used the Huntsmith seminars and training method with his two GSPs. Their "Silent Command System" produced two excellent gundogs.

My wife has trained her two Brittanys to pretty high levels of performance using the Higgins method and the Higgins Releasers and no e-collar. She recommends Higgins to anyone who asks how she got her Brits to be such great hunters.

Any of these systems work extremely well. Pick one, stick with it and can't go wrong..........

http://georgehickox.com/,
http://www.perfectionkennel.com/

tekoa

Post by tekoa » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:40 pm

In case you want to check out Higgins and Huntsmith:

http://www.huntsmith.com/
http://higginsgundogs.com

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:50 am

Their are some good methods out there and the other Members covered most of them. You need to find 1 you understand and stick with it. Mixing methods is a bad idea.

NorthFloridaFella

Post by NorthFloridaFella » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:12 am

Thank you all for the direction and positive pointers! I will research those trainings and see which I like the most and best fits our needs. Again, thank you and I will continue to ask questions along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk