Teaching Pointing

wolski

Teaching Pointing

Post by wolski » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:50 am

Hi, I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I have a smart Griffon that overall is doing well and progressing, nearing 18 months age. She appears to be weakness in pointing instinct. She will point occasionally but she prefers to creep and chase so I am using the Mo Lindley method with prong collar and planted pigeons to reinforce standing still and develop her point.
Here is my dilema and am looking for advice. I live on 5 acres rich in birds and rabbits and I let her roam freely every day and she is good at stayng on the 5 acres. During this free time she hunts on her own, creeps, stalks and chases as she wishes. It seems to me I may be making a mistake in letting her have this freedom which seems only to reinforce her desire to stalk and chase rather than follow my efforts to develop point. So for just one example, if I am outside with her and I see hrsight stalking a robin on the lawn should I let her do as she pleases or what should I do??
Grouse season is 6 weeks away and I need her to be more cooperative and willing to stand still. Experienced advice is appreciated.