New Pup makes huge ruccuss

gspman

New Pup makes huge ruccuss

Post by gspman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:00 am

My wife and I just brought a "now" 12 week pup into our family.
Things are going well except for 1 thing. When i attempt to crate train him or stake him outside or when i kennel him along side our other GWP.
He screams his bloody head off and wont stop.
Potty training is going well, sit, down recall cmds we are make good progress on. No bite is finally coming along well.
I feed him in his crate and his kennel, he goes in the kennel on his own all the time and sleeps.
As soon as i close the door, he goes bananna's.

looking for some advise, keep on with it and wait till he figures it out ? throw a blanket over the top.
not too concerned at this point becuz he is quite young.. but i do not want this behavior to continue.
especially when we get into NAVHDA training sessions and he needs to be quiet in the crate or the stake during training sessions

gspman

Re: New Pup makes huge ruccuss

Post by gspman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:02 am

btw the dogs both have indoor kennels down stairs in the basement and crate in the bedroom

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:14 am

For screaming and carrying on in the crate I've given the crate with pup in it a good hard shake and a "Knock it off!" Only took a couple times before the pups figured it out. And no, they didn't come to fear the crate...we had them in our living area with doors open and the dogs would often use them on their own. FWIW it seems to me some dogs do better in the plastic airline crates than the wire kind. Maybe because they're more closed in, and the dog settles better because he can't see so much what's outside? IDK.

For the stake out, good success with the figure 8 as done by Silent Command System (Rick Smith). It takes patience and you have to devote some time to it. You apply the cord like a muzzle, and while the dog is fussing leave it on. When he settles, you get up and remove it. It goes back on the instant he starts up, and comes off again when he's quiet. Some dogs figure it out wuickly, other bomehead types it takes a while. You can also work on the dog being calm on the stakeout, and not doing silliness like spinning and jumping. Might work for the crate situation also if you do the stake out first, then the crate.

Good luck, it's sometimes quite a chore to teach these little heathens how to be good citizens :)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:50 am

Was the same story with my jack russell. He 'd bark, and ...... I left him to it and went out. Weeks later, but eventually, he figured out making a racket wasn't going to get him anywhere. When home though, as soon as he was silent, I let him out immediately. He figured it out. Of course I live in a house - not an apartment - and can shut the windows :) ( The setter looks at him and says "You'll learn." )
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett