Force Fetch
80%
More Recall with Bumper/Bird
20%

Total votes: 5

jbartlebaugh08

GSP Force Fetch or Recall training

Post by jbartlebaugh08 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:00 am

Hello all, I just had a few questions on my GSP. He will go retrieve whatever falls but the problem I have is he will only bring it back 4-5 feet away from me. I want to run some hunter retriever test with him since he loves doing it but I need him to bring it all the way. His obedience is good and will heel, sit, and recall. Do I need to work more on recall while he is holding? I have been training hold with him on a lead and he will do it just fine. So I may start force fetch but I wanted to get yalls opinion. I would use the toe pinch method. I also started to do some retrieves on a long lead and pulling him all the way in. Thanks in advance!

gspbrit

Re: GSP Force Fetch or Recall training

Post by gspbrit » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:52 pm

I wouldn't hesitate to train force fetch. The worst bird dog I ever had was a GSP and after I did force fetch training he gave me some amazing performances. It improves the whole skill spectrum. It also takes quite a while; varies from dog to dog. So if you're trying for a November opener you'd better start today. There's not much force to it, by the way.

jbartlebaugh08

Post by jbartlebaugh08 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:13 am

gspbrit wrote:I wouldn't hesitate to train force fetch. The worst bird dog I ever had was a GSP and after I did force fetch training he gave me some amazing performances. It improves the whole skill spectrum. It also takes quite a while; varies from dog to dog. So if you're trying for a November opener you'd better start today. There's not much force to it, by the way.
Yes I have read very little pressure with these guys. I will be following Standing Stone Kennels videos on youtube.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:50 am

...I did not vote because I believe both are critical for Gun Dogs.....

A dog that will not deliver to hand on recall is not yet fully trained or obedient! To many folks allow Gun Dogs to drop the game within a few feet....problem is when he brings in a crippled bird or one that was only shocked when hit, when the dog drops it short....it will run and fly away! A wounded bird then is lost and dies in the field later!

Finally, FF does help bring a dog to deliver to hand, but it also teaches the dog to be soft mouthed and overall obedient as they learn that 'bad' things happen when they do not follow a known command. Many also finish the FF by moving to use of the e-collar, which is the best way, for my money, to collar condition a gun dog....

good luck

jbartlebaugh08

Post by jbartlebaugh08 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:23 pm

I have went back to hold and also throwing short marks with a 40’ check cord.