Excitement level

mrelite

Excitement level

Post by mrelite » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:49 am

I have a 1 year old male EP and he is a great dog with his obedience in the house and out in the field (not exaggerating) BUT when other dogs come over to the house or if I take him somewhere and there is a dog around that he might get to play with his excitement level is so high that there is no command that can break the excitement, most of the time they don't want to even play with him. At the house If I stick him in the kennel he just starts jumping up and down and barking because our guests dog is running around (usually the dogs we know are of the small type), after he calms down I will try and reintroduce him but his excitement gets right back to a level that is uncontrollable and unacceptable.

Last night my daughter came from out of town with a 15 wk old pup and it's been heck, I leashed up my dog and made him stay next to me all evening, at times I had to really grab him by the scruff and reprimand him which did not go well with my wife and daughter even though they were wanting me to do something, it just wasn't what they had in mind.
I need some ideas, unfortunately I don't have access to lots of other dogs for him to learn to chill. When I run him we go by a few fenced dogs and it is easy to walk past them, he can even be off leash and I can control him but put him in a play type situation and its out of control, his play is fast and scary to other dogs even though he doesn't have an aggressive (mean) bone in his body. My kennel is in close proximity to the function of the home so if he is in it and carrying on it is an issue.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Excitement level

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:27 pm

Try wearing him down (for mine, that means 10-15 miles of roading) then reintroducing the pup to him. Crate him if it gets out of control, but only after he's tired. Correct him for barking in the crate (spray bottle of water to the face usually works for mine). They have a ton of energy, but hey can learn. My young pup has learned "settle" which means go to the blanket and lay down (or at least stay on the blanket). The "place" concept for retrievers works well too. Consistency is super important here - the crate is helpful, but if you can train for a "place" or a "settle" command, that is even better!