not coming

jbr03

not coming

Post by jbr03 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:59 pm

hello

my puppy has been pretty good when learning the come command. she knows what the command is and usually comes when i call her. sometimes i have to tug at the lead to get her to come but its no big deal. recently i have been taking her out to my parents farm. she loves to run around the place and i take her for runs on the 4 wheeler. the only problem im having is sometimes she wont come when i call her. i dont know if shes just liking the taste of the horse poop on the ground or what. but she just wont come. ill turn and walk away and still nothing. today when i went to go get her (about 100 yards away) she just kept running away from me. i know she still needs work but what could be prompting this? she usually fetches most of the time as well but when she gets to the farm she just wont. is it the new setting? shes been out there everyday for almost 2 weeks? i dont get it!

griffgirl

Post by griffgirl » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:02 pm

She a pup....Ours at 8 months old still trys this.All we have to do is take a step like we are coming to get him and hes like OOHHH you were talking to me OK.

Weve been doing some whistle training with him.All it takes is a toot toot and he will make a big turn and come running.I started in the yard doing this and then to the field and all is going well.Knock on wood....

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:21 pm

She's a baby, that's what's prompting it. I never take a CC off them so I can always catch them. Depending on her age, never give a command you can't enforce or it'll make it tougher on you later.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:00 pm

At that age my pups have acted the same way. I agree with gonehuntin', leave her on the CC and you'll be in the position to enforce the command.

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:40 am

How old is your pup? I keep a 30 ft lead on my pups at all times until they are collar conditioned so they cannot learn that they dont have to listen to me. I will at time let them run around with the lead dragging. This way its always there so I can enforce a command if needed. Good luck

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:40 am

Start in a controlled environment, your back yard and put a check cord on the dog. never give a command you don't intend to enforce.

Give that dog one "come" command and if you're sure that the dog heard you, go get him. Don't say another word to him, run him down, grab the check cord, without saying a word, shake him up. SHAKE HIM UP, step away from him and holding the cord call him to you with one word ("Come" or "here" what ever you use) no cussing, no yelling, just a clear command. Do this a couple times each time he ignores you. He'll get the picture.

After he knows what the command means go to other environments to test his willingness to respond and repeat if necessary. An 8 month old dog should have this down.

GSPaddict

Post by GSPaddict » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:41 am

I had this problem when walking in the woods and I think I found a good solution.

I decided to bring real meat treats with me and called the dog every minute or so. Every time the dog comes treat him. Do this for how long as you want but make sure you have enough treats for the return journey. Make sure the dog is hungry too when you leave. Do this several times and im pretty sure it will go a lot better for you then. I don't need the treats anymore and he listens pretty well.

You always must be more interesting then whats out there.