Nurturing the Natural Retrieve

Higgins

Nurturing the Natural Retrieve

Post by Higgins » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:40 pm

Here is a video of some training today. I have a young pointer pup here that is learning my natural retrieve. You can see she has the bird I just shot, but she is not willing to share it with me. I do what I call the "retrieve walkaway". I simply turn around and leave. Now she has a problem to fix. She wants her bird but she also wants to be with me. As you can see, problem solved. She's beginning to put it all together.

My goal in training is to create a balance between cooperation and drive.

https://youtu.be/wIhuFnts9Uw

Brad Higgins
http://HigginsGundogs.com

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Nurturing the Natural Retrieve

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:45 pm

I think that is an old time trick we all have used for years, long before there was a Higgins method.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:41 pm

The other dynamic about this video is that Mr. Higgins did not immediately reach for the bird. I share this with most novices as well. I ask them, "How long do you think it will take your young dog to figure out that if he/she brings you the bird, you will rip him/her off for it?"
I noticed Mr. Higgins took the time to recognize the dog's conduct. THAT is key in my estimation. Take a moment to praise the dog for a job well done and yes, I have been known to use a savory treat on occasion as a trade, especially with younger prospects that are food driven - reluctant to release.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:19 pm

It's a short video of a young dog retrieving shot game probably for the first time (if it wasn't then it never got the hang of it the first time :wink: )
I don't think Mr Higgins is trying to say It's revolutionary or unique 'ezzy' ? (It may come across that way to some folk) , But no GunDog trainer would say what was shown in the clip was specific to any personal or individual style or program or 'patent' . (they would be pretty dumb) .
Personally any re-call/pick up of dead bird /delivery to hand would have been done and proofed several times previously before any attempt to do it in the field 'following a shot live bird' for a young dog to be filmed and shown as reason for 'Nurturing the Natural Retrieve' . ..
btw .. and it's just my very own personal opinion regarding nurturing the natural retrieve ... I want them (any breed) coming back like a bat out of heck with that thing in their mouth and shoving it straight in my kisser when they are a pup. ....You can refine it there after to save the bruises as it gets bigger . :lol:

Higgins

Post by Higgins » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:16 pm

Featherfinder and Polmaise,

You bring up some good points. I went back and added in some of the video from after she brought me the bird.

In the early stages of retrieve, I want her to know it's her bird. As I build trust, she will choose to bring me the birds without my asking.

Here is the longer version of the video.

https://youtu.be/ROol1-csPiw

Higgins

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:24 pm

Mr Higgins ,
In the early stages of the retrieve ,the re-call and the hold and the delivery are all shaped and perfected and proofed on any pup or breed for a retrieve process including a Border terrier (imho) ..(and I have done it ,many/many times ,but I'm just bragging :wink: ) The fantasy of a young hunting/pointing/flushing dog to the masses who have one and may or may not hunt them ,the actual act of bringing something back to it's owner with some enthusiasm is not revolutionary nor is it or should be with any hunting dog . Fido can fetch a stick.
Just some think way beyond their own capabilities and more often their dog.
Usually (globally) ..it's those who have a hunting breed and don't know how to hunt them ,so they see clips as such and think this is right or wrong ?...

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:35 am

Nurturing the natural retrieve is what just about every gundog trainer in Britain does as very few of us know anything about using any other method ! If a pup was not a natural retriever then we would either fail to train it to retrieve or we would be really struggling to get the pup , of any breed, to retrieve.

I want the person who bred the litter I took the pup from to have done almost all the "retrieve work" for me by mating a keen natural retriever to a keen natural retriever. All I really do is add a few bells and whistles to the pup's "retrieve" in order to , hopefully, get a retrieve that pleases me as much as it does the pup.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:01 am

One interesting thing to me is that I had 4 AKC master hunters before somebody told me you can't pass a master test without a force retrieve.............Cj

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:15 am

cjhills wrote:One interesting thing to me is that I had 4 AKC master hunters before somebody told me you can't pass a master test without a force retrieve.............Cj
You can pass them until you can't. If you compete, once spits a bird out you'll FF every one from then on. If you want to win.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:37 am

polmaise wrote: But no GunDog trainer would say what was shown in the clip was specific to any personal or individual style or program
Higgins wrote:that is learning my natural retrieve.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:46 am

slistoe wrote:
polmaise wrote: But no GunDog trainer would say what was shown in the clip was specific to any personal or individual style or program
Thank you, saved me going back and finding it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:06 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
slistoe wrote:
Thank you, saved me going back and finding it.

Ezzy
:D :wink:

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

All in all a nice video. Walking away has proved successful for years when developing the retrieve. As a shooting instructor and a field trial gun I really do not like seeing ropes attached to the shooter. Would work just as well if you had a wing gun to carry out those duties of gunning. and inherently much safer.
Happy New Year
Hal
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.