VIDEO: Steadiness Taught by the Birds, Part 1

Higgins

VIDEO: Steadiness Taught by the Birds, Part 1

Post by Higgins » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Here is a recent video of one of our black pointer pups learning my flush/stop cue. You’ll see in the video, when she gets in a birdy area and begins to stalk, I physically connect her to me via a clamp on my vest to the checkcord. I do this in part, because I am not only the handler, but also the shooter. I need to help her understand that steadiness is necessary, both before and after the flush in order to be successful. It also makes it possible to show her that success requires she wait to retrieve until my “fetch” release. You’ll see I didn’t shoot until she was finished flushing and had stopped. Steadiness based on when a bird flushes, when the gun goes off or when the bird falls will soon become irrelevant. We will have a free running dog hunting the field, beautiful stalking and pointing, a flush/stop on cue and steadiness until released.

In the first part of the video, you’ll see just before I gave her the flush/stop cue (a verbal “alright"), I realized I had forgotten to put in my earplugs. She waits for her cue maintaining all of her beautiful intensity. Later in the video, when I shoot over her, the camera angle makes it look like I took the shot right over her head. I didn't. It’s important to always be aware of where the dog is when shooting. In addition, I’m using a 28 gauge side-by-side and subsonic shells. Don’t want a deaf dog down the road.

When watching the video, pay close attention to the checkcord. You’ll notice that it’s loose. This guarantees that any of her movement is her choice. There is no obedience involved here. By giving her this freedom, I allow the bird to teach her. I don't teach a "whoa" command. I feel that's the birds job. If she jumps in before my “flush/stop" cue, the bird will flush and she will lose. But if she is focused and patient, waiting for my verbal cue, she will be rewarded.

https://youtu.be/VCP0gAJxNkg

Hope you enjoy it.

Brad Higgins
http://HigginsGundogs.com