dog chomping birds

oldbeek

dog chomping birds

Post by oldbeek » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:45 am

Son has 1 yr old GSP. quail hunting he will run to the downed bird and run off to hunt more. I stopped him, gave him the bird and said hold. First he just dropped it. After more tries he started chomping on it. Earlier this year we had a bird buried in a bush, told him to get it. He caught it and started to eat it. I am an amateur trainer. what do I do? On the ff table or home playing he loves to fetch.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: dog chomping birds

Post by slistoe » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:07 am

Take the bird home and work him on the FF table with it.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:12 am

You haven't ff'd him correctly if he loves ffing on the table and won't in the field. Better revisit your ff. Also keep in mind that a anything a dog is taught in the yard has to be reinforced in the field.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Meller

Post by Meller » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:51 am

A good no nonsense recall would help a lot. ( when I say here I mean here, and right now! no bull)

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:06 am

FF usually prevents this from happening!? So I agree that it is back to the table with FF and use a few birds....be very strict on the 'hold' command! No mouthing, no movement at all, just hold!

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:24 pm

Thanks. Was thinking that. Just looking for more ideas.

CZfan107

Post by CZfan107 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:24 pm

oldbeek wrote:Son has 1 yr old GSP. quail hunting he will run to the downed bird and run off to hunt more. I stopped him, gave him the bird and said hold. First he just dropped it. After more tries he started chomping on it. Earlier this year we had a bird buried in a bush, told him to get it. He caught it and started to eat it. I am an amateur trainer. what do I do? On the ff table or home playing he loves to fetch.

Don't take this wrong but why would you tell the GSP to get the bird in the bush he's a pointer ? He shouldn't be aloud to try catch birds that are alive. If its pen raised birds its easy for them.