Book recommendation for GSP

Mike da Carpenter

Post by Mike da Carpenter » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:58 am

I know the opinions will vary...that’s a good thing..., but can you all recommend some excellent, in-depth books that I can get the best possible GSP I can? I’ve used Richard Wolters’ book “water dog” to train my old Chocolate Lab, then picked up his “Gun Dog” to get a refresher course. His books are informative, but I find them lacking the in-depth I’m seeking.

Our pup just turned 10 weeks, and I’m wanting to take him to the next level. He is still in the “preschool” stage now, and progressing quite well. My intent is to start “School” at 12 weeks...as his attention span allows. Nothing wrong with Wolters books, I’m just thinking there are better training aids available to read since Wolters wrote his books. I do not want to watch a video, but would rather have a quick rereference to flip to. I’m NOT looking to any trails or testing, I just want the best hunting dog I can produce, and for my wife’s benefit, a great house dog too (she’s really warming up to the little guy and his crazy antics).

Thank you in advance,

Mike and Levi
Last edited by Mike da Carpenter on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meller

Re: Book recommendation for GSP

Post by Meller » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:16 am

Training with Mo is a good one.
The Paul Long books are good reference also!
Last edited by Meller on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:31 pm

Point! by James Spencer

Point! by Horace Lyttle
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:25 pm

Good grief Mike da Carpenter....!!! Is that the book where he suggests a good whipping now and again is healthy for a dog? That relic is a keeper for sure. I wouldn't use it to train dogs with but a very entertaining read for sure, even if it is a bit dated.

huntindog1

Post by huntindog1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:47 am

You might check into clicker training as I have trained dogs for years and used some clicker training on my last two pups and it seems to speed things up. I kind of like it.
Check out all the Willow creek YouTube videos as he has several on clicker training.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:09 pm

huntingdog1, I use some clicker training myself for the early training. It works quite well. You can actually use it for retrieve training as well. Patience, patience, patience.