GSP pup chasing tweety birds.

Dr849310

GSP pup chasing tweety birds.

Post by Dr849310 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:00 pm

Hello all,

I’ve got a 9 month old GSP pup that has recently started chasing tweety birds and pointing them in my yard. I guess my question is, is it okay to pull him off of them? I definitely don’t want to put the idea into his head that pointing and chasing birds is a bad thing.

Some additional info: He was out for all of pheasant season and did flush/point at least 10 birds (as the season went on he started to pick up on the pointing thing from my older one). He hasn’t had any true formal training, and won’t get any until mid to late March. I just don’t want to “ruin” him or what he’s figured out so far by pulling him off a point on tweety birds while I’m waiting until I can train him formally. Any advice?

Thanks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP pup chasing tweety birds.

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:03 pm

Not a problem - leave it be and say nothing.

( Welcome to the forum. :) )
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:12 pm

X2 on Sharon's comment. When he does that, keep your shoulders back and relaxed, look at the horizon or with your back to pup and dream of days to come hunting wild birds with your new prospect.
Actually, it isn't that unusual unless YOU turn it into something more.

Dr849310

Post by Dr849310 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:35 pm

Well that’s the issue. I can’t really leave it be, otherwise he’s 20 houses down chasing the birds from bush to bush. That’s why I pull him off them.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:43 pm

Well, with a 9 month old GSP maybe it is time to fence in your property. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:17 pm

It’s a non event just ignore him. Pointing and chasing in your yard is fine. Chasing down the street is not. That’s an issue even if it were pheasants he was chasing.
You like these dogs because you like the truth. And these dogs, if you watch them, they will show you the truth.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:19 am

Pointing stink birds is not a problem. Lack of a containment system and a solid recall is.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:20 pm

sharon told you right as far as hurting his hunting dont worry. but when it comes to a safety issue you cant let him run all over a sub div.two diff, things there. but pointing running after tweety birds thats a young dog doing young dog stuff

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:38 pm

From personal experience Dog number 4 of 7 was always on those bush wrens drove me crazy. She would get all hot and birdy I would pick up the pace sometimes she would point I would ready my gun then out flies a little wren then after two or three of those I would get frustrated and out would fly a big pheasant. Many years gone by since those days I will say she was the best backer I ever hunted with.

So to say it is not a problem.... maybe.

Grant

Dr849310

Post by Dr849310 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:34 pm

He comes when I call. It may take a couple times but he comes. I was more or less concerned with essentially calling him off of points a few times a day. Given the lack of formal training I didn’t want it to set in that pointing is bad. Sounds like it shouldnt be a problem though.