Starter pistol

ShearMadness

Starter pistol

Post by ShearMadness » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:52 pm

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Starter pistol

Post by DonF » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:13 pm

Well for $30 it can't be to awful bad. Can't remember the name of the one I got. Got it from Gun Dog Supply four or five yer ago, about $100. Been a really nice gun.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ShearMadness

Post by ShearMadness » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:50 pm

Thanks. That's what I was thinking

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:55 pm

I bought a lot of cheap (20 to 100 dollar) starter pistols, all were junk...........Cj

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:03 am

I have to agree with cj. Your dog's puppy stage will likely outlast that starter pistol.
Buy a good one instead and own it for life, then pass it on down to your grandchildren. It's money in the bank.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/charter-arm ... olver.html

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:37 pm

ShearMadness wrote:Thanks. That's what I was thinking
If you are going to start one puppy, a $35 starter pistol is probably going to be just fine. It actually looks reasonably well made. It might last you two or three puppies. If so, it is a HUGE bargain. A good quality starter pistol can cost $250 and more. I bought several "Traditions" 209 pistols and each one of them crapped out after about 800-1000 shots. I think they go for about $90 now.

Years ago, I used to buy a cheap($20) .22 starter pistol when I got a new pup. I also got a kid's capgun...the kind that shot those plastic wheels. I used that first. When the pup graduated to shotgun fire, I tossed the capgun . I often got two pups started with the cheap starter pistol, so it was five to seven years between purchases.

I would save the money and use it to help pay for a remote launcher... unless you plan to start several pups in the future.

RayG

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:17 pm

RayG, I assume you don't mean a remote launcher because $35 - 90 even for a used system, is not happening. If you mean a manual one...oh oh.....poor dog!
Further-to-that, a decent blank gun is not restricted to a single puppy term. You can also use it later on when working an adult dog in a specific shotguns restricted area, or at trials, or when retraining the current dog or, a friend might like you to help with his/her pup, etc.
Buy once and look after your "investment", then if you want, sell it for more than you paid or pass it on to family close friend. Buy a bunch of cheapies and you get unreliability along the way PLUS at the end of a given term of having bought X cheapies ($$$?), you have absolutely squat. Actually, that's not true, you do get to recall all the frustration that came with the cheapies. :?
JMO
Last edited by Featherfinder on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:18 pm

It's a moot point , but if it's a puppy being trained on stop to shot (where it would be close to the handler) or a puppy being trained on a shot with a mark retrieve ,then bargain basement Party poppers achieve the same aim.
I'm not a fan of the starting pistol that has a revolver style, much prefer the magazine ones like 'Rohm' . But they are used with the more advanced dogs who are already introduced to shot ....no matter the breed or activity .

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:34 pm

Featherfinder wrote:RayG, I assume you don't mean a remote launcher because $35 - 90 even for a used system is not happening. If you mean a manual one...oh oh.....
Further-to-that, a decent blank gun is not restricted to a single puppy term. You can also use it when working an adult dog in a specific restricted area, or at trials, or when retraining, or a friend might like you to help with his/her pup, etc.
JMO
I think he’s saying a cheap $20-35 starter pistol will Work perfectly fine so instead of buying a $250 “lifetime” gun it that money towards a remote launcher.

I have to agree. The cheaper ones definitely feel cheap but they make noise and last long enough. I’ve had a couple of those cheap LCS guns and they were made like junk but went pop when I needed them to.
You like these dogs because you like the truth. And these dogs, if you watch them, they will show you the truth.