Bumper hold issue

DaxGR0422

Bumper hold issue

Post by DaxGR0422 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:39 am

I know the bumper cigaring issue has been beaten to death on this forum, but I'm having a specific issue right now with my 7 month golden male. Finished FF on table with ear pinch, then e collar conditioned on table. Then moved to walking fetch in the ground. Following Chris Atkins dog duck basics.

He's driving hard to the bumper at heel during walking fetch and has a good strong hold near the middle of the bumper. Chris is an advocate of throwing fun bumpers during walking force fetch to keep the dogs attitude up. When I throw the fun bumper, he cigars it and has a sloppy hold.

Any tips to enforce a better hold?

DaxGR0422

Re: Bumper hold issue

Post by DaxGR0422 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:06 pm

I've seen tips on other forums to continue to throw the bumpers and just reposition the bumper and command a hold when he's returns to my side with the bumper. I feel that's not enough and is not actually forcing the dog on a proper hold.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:58 pm

7 month old and done all that ?
What happens when you start walking away when the dog returns with that cigarred bumper ?..I bet if the dog has such a poor slack hold It's gonna drop ?...Try 'Keep on truckin' ..;) ..keep sending the dog back for the dropped bumper ,until it figures out how it can '''carry'' it and keep on truckin :wink: .
It's 7 months btw !! and some battles are not worth fighting ,they sort themselves out .

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:09 pm

One of those battles not worth fighting because it really isn't a problem. He won't carry game like that and bumper's really don't matter. It will self correct.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:24 am

gonehuntin' wrote:One of those battles not worth fighting because it really isn't a problem. He won't carry game like that and bumper's really don't matter. It will self correct.
+ 1.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:32 pm

The only dog I have ff so far did that but luckily birds aren't shaped like cigars.

KahlessDg

Bumper hold issue

Post by KahlessDg » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:36 pm

My pup did that, I was told to wrap wire around the ends so he will only grab in the middle. It worked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:56 am

Trekmoor wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:One of those battles not worth fighting because it really isn't a problem. He won't carry game like that and bumper's really don't matter. It will self correct.
+ 1.

Bill T.
Bill, surprised you didn't take this opportunity to do some jingoistic rootin' for the aulde home team dummy provider, Sporting Saint, and their conical dummy http://www.sportingsaint.co.uk/product/1230

Thing is, the secret's in using bumpers (dummies) that cannae be cigared
0005.jpg
unless it's T-Rex doing the cigaring!

MG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.