What is the complete glossary of retriever commands?

JonBailey

What is the complete glossary of retriever commands?

Post by JonBailey » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:12 pm

come
sit
down
leave-it
heel
no
fetch
kennel
quiet
the dog's name
roll over

I don't like HERE because it sounds too much like HEEL.

I am familiar with all the above because I am an experienced dog owner who has been to Humane Society dog obedience classes.

I have no experience in formally-trained hunting dogs for actual hunting purposes but understand there are specialized commands, hand signals, cues and whistle blows.

I have seen enough retriever videos and have heard the handlers shout some of the following at their retrievers while training in the field;

-dead bird back (when doing blinds)
-no bird, not sure of the exact meaning
-mark, I suppose this means the seated dog is to pay attention for any falling birds upon this command
-watch, same as mark?
-go, same as fetch?
-place, sit in a prescribed location as a stand
-hunt-em-up, perhaps a command to dead-hunt a bird the dog is unable to find while running a line?

Cues I've seen in videos:

-long whistle blow, stop, sit and face the handler for directions
-five tweets or three tweets, come back to handler, recall command
-two tweets, resume down-range action, eg. a marked retrieve, following a whistle stop
-e collar, a nick, or short jolt as a correction sometimes used in teaching new commands

If MARK is a command, I would not name a boy dog "Mark".

i've been told dogs should never confuse their names with verbal commands.

I would name a male something like, "Todd" and a bitch something like "Dorothy".
"Let Hercules himself do what he may, the cat will mew and dog will have his day." - William Shakespeare

CDN_Cocker

Re: What is the complete glossary of retriever commands?

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:10 pm

JonBailey wrote:c

I don't like HERE because it sounds too much like HEEL.
This confuses me. They are essentially the same command for a retriever. Most top level retriever trainers use here and heel interchangeably. It's not an issue. But u can use any word you want as long as the dog understands what u want it to do.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:21 am

As far as dogs are concerned every human being on the planet speaks a different and foreign language ….so it doesn't matter much what you say as long as you are consistent . If you wanted to you could train a dog to retrieve by saying …"Fish and chips !"

About 40 years ago I used to go training and shooting with a number of Scottish lads who field trialed their spaniels. The spaniel lads were pretty different to most of the more genteel retriever trainers . :lol: They used to add "Min" to their commands which gave commands that came out as , "Hup min !" …"Here min!" ….etc....etc. "Min" is Scottish for "man" and it didn't matter if the spaniel being spoken to was a bitch , she still got called "Min." These commands were always issued with rough, gruff, voices in order to enhance the spaniel guys rough, tough self images....but it got on my nerves !

I bought a lab bitch pup but continued to hang out with the spaniel freaks so I decided to irritate them for a change. Instead of training her to sit by saying, "Hup min!" I taught her to sit whenever I said …." Bot -bot Tessa darling !" :P The look on my mates faces when I first issued that command in front of them using sickly sweet soft tones was priceless ! :lol:

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:53 am

"No bird" : Command used by some hunters, when the bird is missed, so the dog don't chase the bird for a mile and catch it or some other bird. Scaring all other birds out of the country.
I don't know much about retriever training but do the retriever handlers really use that many commands? Seems like you could eliminate most of them...…..Cj

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:22 pm

I know a guy that taught his lab to piss by sailing “Bob Jones,” the name of his hunting partner.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:44 pm

Clever things they are !
This one just sings with a particular song .
The other songs it is quiet . :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJzOIs-CdZY

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:53 pm

I say "Hurry up!" which I'm sure makes the neighbors wonder at midnight. :wink:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:45 pm

Sharon wrote:I say "Hurry up!" which I'm sure makes the neighbors wonder at midnight. :wink:
We use "do your numbers" and she does it.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:52 pm

Sharon wrote:I say "Hurry up!" which I'm sure makes the neighbors wonder at midnight. :wink:
This is what i use as well. Sounds better than take a $#!t! Lol
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr