GSP Trainer in SW Virginia

troutduck

GSP Trainer in SW Virginia

Post by troutduck » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:18 am

Hi all,

I am new to the site and in Southwest Virginia (Roanoke). I am primarily a waterfowl hunter and have a three year old black lab. However, I would like to do more upland hunting, especially for Grouse. I know of several spots that consistently have birds but my experience has been mainly walking them up without a dog. My wife and I got a German Shorthaired Pointer puppy, who is now seven months old. Both of her parents are hunters and she seems extremely "birdy," chasing, stalking, and pointing robins in the backyard. While I trained my lab myself, and he's turned out very well, I know next to nothing about training a pointer, other than the little bit I have started reading. Does anyone know of any good trainers in SW Virginia, preferably within an hour or two of Roanoke? Any other tips or advice for beginning training would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP Trainer in SW Virginia

Post by Sharon » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:49 pm

Welcome to the forum. You'll get lots of expert help here. Can't help with a trainer as I live in Ontario Canada :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:18 am

Hi and welcome -

Like Sharon, I am not familiar with the SW VA area. However, there are two NAVHDA chapters in VA. These organizations are focused on helping hunting dog owners train their own dogs. Might just be a good fit for both you and your wife.

I noted one chapter(Chesapeake) had a contact name that I am a bit familiar with a Mr. Dan Carter. I met him some years back and he seemed very knowledgeable and very willing to help.

I would contact them and ask for assistance in both your training journey and in locating a good pro.

The best shorthair guy I know that is anywhere near you is Bruce Shaffer, but he is in West VA.

RayG

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:56 am

Do you have a computer? :-) Do a search for GSP club of Virgina. I just did it and there's both AKC and Amer Field clubs there. Probably some NSTRA clubs, American Bird hunters ect. Probably less than an hour from you too!

Here ya go: Bill Berkley, Pres Virgina NSTRA Club
1240 Pisqua Rd
Goode, Virgina 24556
PH 434-660-9951

Good place to start!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Meller

Post by Meller » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:05 am

Might check with Martha Greenlee, on Steady with Style!

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:57 pm

Just remembered...

Contact info for:

GSP OF CENTRAL VIRGINIA
Mary Durham
412 Good Hope Church Rd.
Aroda, VA 22709-0949
540-718-4810
quailpoint1@gmail.com

Mary Durham is one of the finest folks I know. She will help you if she can.

Ray Gubernat

troutduck

Post by troutduck » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:14 am

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate it!

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:12 pm

I know a few good ones but they're all further into NC and further east than you're looking for.