Place Command

BuckeyeSteve

Place Command

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:11 pm

I have just begun teaching the place command. I watched Robin McFarlane's video that came with the WetMutt mat I ordered from GDS, plus multiple other videos. I get the point of Place for in the house....but what else is this good for? I keep hearing that the minimum standard of a trained dog is to come to you, stay in place, and go away from you on command. People say teach place as the beginning of teaching the dog to go away from you...what comes after the beginning?
How does teaching place to a dog's bed/mat teach the dog to go somewhere you want it (and stay) in the field (when the dog's bed isn't in the field with you, obviously)?
How does this teach the dog to stay in a place when you're out on a walk and want the dog to hold in a place you put it (vs just sit)?
Does this command (referring to that it is the "beginning" of teaching to go away from you) transfer in some way to teaching the dog direction in the field when I'm wanting to guide it across a field?

Just curious what this command is doing for me in future training..... or does it really just stop at good house manners?

Thanks!

EAM

Re: Place Command

Post by EAM » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:31 am

I only own one dog, I am no expert. Many pointer people will tell you place is not necessary, and in my opinion they are correct. But, I have taught my Brittany place. This may help you with a few of your questions.

How does teaching place to a dog's bed/mat teach the dog to go somewhere you want it (and stay) in the field (when the dog's bed isn't in the field with you, obviously)?- -You have to have a place to use the place command, it cant be just like everything else, it helps if its elevated in the beginning, but if there is no place don't give the place command.

How does this teach the dog to stay in a place when you're out on a walk and want the dog to hold in a place you put it (vs just sit)?- Sit is sit in the spot you tell the dog to sit and don't leave until you release them, place is stay on the place (the elevated platform, rock, piece of plywood, cooler) you put them and don't leave until you release them. You can allow the dog to stand on place, sit on place, or lay on place, they just cant get off.

Does this command (referring to that it is the "beginning" of teaching to go away from you) transfer in some way to teaching the dog direction in the field when I'm wanting to guide it across a field- I don't know about the beginning?, I have seen Ian Openshaw and Jay Lowry on the internet introduce hand signals by having two place boards a few feet apart. When they want the dog to go to the left place they say place and use there hand to direct, then to the right, etc. You spread them boards out further as the progress. YouTube ryglen gun dogs, lots of use of a board.

I have heard that place is like a kennel without walls, the dog stays there quietly until you release them, there is no difference. I have an elevated dog bed in my kitchen. My dog will sleep on it and willingly goes on it when he wants. But, if my three year old is throwing food around, my wife is cooking dinner , I am doing the dishes, and he is trying to get involved in all of the action, he goes on his place, it works for me.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:36 am

There is rarely a need for a "place" command if the dog is correctly obedience trained. When a dog is given a command, it should complete that command and not proceed to another command until commanded to do so. For instance, when sit is commanded, the dog should sit and stay until released from that command. Same with whoa, down, heel, etc. I do think PLACE can be effective in teaching pointing dog's hand signals, but that's about it.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:59 am

Some folk over think things .
Sit means sit....Unless you are in Russia ..then it means сидеть. I once taught a dog to Sit on the word "Banana" ,but everyone thought I was Nuts !
So I got two Banana boxes and done the same . Now Everyone is buying my Bananas. Business is good now.....all thanks to the Russians :lol:

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:35 am

polmaise wrote:Some folk over think things .
Sit means sit.
Ditto to this from me. I have never found any need for place mats or tables.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:22 am

Polmaise, I don't think saying "banana" is nuts at all. ……a bit fruity perhaps but not nuts!
Place has it's place. :|
Many versatile breed owners like to waterfowl with their dogs so in the duck blind, a place/sit/stay command can be useful, in my opinion. A slightly elevated platform in the blind can work well too as a transition.
Trekmoor, in order to really sink your teeth into this concept, you may have to do away with the utensils as well!
I don't want folk russian into this though.

Meskousing

Post by Meskousing » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:52 am

I'm new to this world and am three years into what I hope is my first well-trained AWS (he earned a SH and a WDX this past weekend.) This is the first dog I've taught 'place.' What I have learned is that 'place' is a great command and very handy, but not necessary. However, I have no regrets in teaching it and will teach it to future dogs.

Place is a great command to mix in with basic obedience to keep things interesting and fresh. It doesn't take a whole lot to teach it. As you progress, you'll be able to teach the dog that his place is whatever you want it to be. Aside from some of the other uses for place, I use it a lot in the spring and fall when he's muddy and wet. When we come into the house and he needs a good toweling, I lay down a towel on the floor and tell him 'place.' He stands on the towel wiping his feet off as I towel off the rest of him. It can be used anytime you want him onto something- truck seat, dog bed, stump, boat seat, etc. I use it a LOT for glory pics. I can direct him to a stump in the woods and take a pic of him with a grouse in his mouth.

If you're doing a lot of retriever work it can come in handy. I bring a place board or similar object and put him on it. Then, I can walk out and throw doubles and triples. He brings the birds or bumpers to me and then I send him back to his place. On more difficult retrieves, I do go back to him to be sure he's lined up. It can also be useful in baseball and wagon wheel drills. I also used it while working on steadying him to the flush. I only have one bird launcher, so I would bring a 'place' with me, which was put in a location that would act as the equivalent of a holding blind. Then, I'd walk into the field, hide the launcher with bird, and run the dog. For subsequent birds, I commanded my buddy to 'place.' He was running at least 100 yards to his place. Then, I'd move the launcher and get more reps. This is a lot faster than walking him back to the equivalent of a holding blind each time.

For hunting, I have a retriever stand that I use as his 'place.' I put the stand wherever I want him to be concealed. Sometimes, I sit on it with him. Other times, I put the stand behind me to elevate him for a better view of things, to the side, or anywhere I think he'll be well hidden. Then, when I knock down a bird, I send him and he returns to me. To get him back on the stand, I only have to say 'place.' I don't have to walk over and try to convince him to get up. He knows that's where he belongs and that fun retrieves follow him getting on his place.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:48 am

Featherfinder wrote: Trekmoor, in order to really sink your teeth into this concept, you may have to do away with the utensils as well!
If I have to really sink my teeth into this or any other concept then I'm in big trouble ! I've only got about 5 teeth left in my head ! :lol:

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:00 am

After a few days out shooting ,either in a hide or on a platform or the tailgate ,or even the back of the boat ,those dogs dont need tellin where to be :wink:
I like the idea of the dog standing on the towel to dry though :) ....but i bet if the towel was placed on the floor the dog would stand on it without the command .

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:09 pm

I do not use a "Place" command per se, but I use "Kennel" alot. My trained "Kennel" command is used to get my dog into a dog ground blind, a crate in the back of the truck, back into his chain length outdoor kennel, into his place behind me in the layout boat, onto his marsh platform when we are using it, back into the pit blind when hunting there, back into his spot beside me in a makeshift blinds when hunting doves, teal, into the back of the Ranger, back to the pitchers mound when training on baseball drills for retrieve handling ... It is the generic verbal command I use with accompanying hand signal pointing to where I want him to go and be. It is an essential command to our dove and waterfowl hunting as outlined above as well as several daily living situations.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:17 am

Same as AG.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:18 pm

Boy, 72 years old, 62 years of hunting and 44 years with bird dogs and this is the first time I have ever heard of the command "Place". From the above responses I really see no need for the command and would like to know specifically what it is used for. If I want to dog to sit I say "Sit". To stop or stay I use "Whoa". To get the dog to go into it's crate or kennel I use "Kennel". Where the heck does "Place" come in? Old and confused! :?
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:00 am

Place is a word, nothing more! To your dog it's a word it will not understand till you teach it. It could be swapped out with several other commands and work! For instance, whoa. It means stop and stand still, nothing more. Sit mean's sit and don't move until released, nothing more. Down means lie down and stay there until released, nothing more! How about here or come? You know what it means, change it for place and it still means the same thing to the dog when taught. Does this command also use a board or matt to show the dog where the place is? Well your in the middle of a corn field hunting and yell "Place" to your dog. How does he find the board or matt out there. This is to me definitely over thinking a problem. Every command you give your dog means absolutely nothing till you teach it what the command means!

Imagine your in the field and want your dog to stop and stand still. You taught it with the Place command and a place board. Are you carrying that board around with you? How's the dog gonna find it?I guess what I'd really like to know is what does place mean to the majority of people? We know what sit, whoa, down, here ect means, define place!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:19 am

DonF wrote:Place is a word, nothing more! To your dog it's a word it will not understand till you teach it. It could be swapped out with several other commands and work! For instance, whoa. It means stop and stand still, nothing more. Sit mean's sit and don't move until released, nothing more. Down means lie down and stay there until released, nothing more! How about here or come? You know what it means, change it for place and it still means the same thing to the dog when taught. Does this command also use a board or matt to show the dog where the place is? Well your in the middle of a corn field hunting and yell "Place" to your dog. How does he find the board or matt out there. This is to me definitely over thinking a problem. Every command you give your dog means absolutely nothing till you teach it what the command means!

Imagine your in the field and want your dog to stop and stand still. You taught it with the Place command and a place board. Are you carrying that board around with you? How's the dog gonna find it?I guess what I'd really like to know is what does place mean to the majority of people? We know what sit, whoa, down, here ect means, define place!
:thumbup:
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

EAM

Post by EAM » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:51 pm

DonF wrote:Place is a word, nothing more! To your dog it's a word it will not understand till you teach it. It could be swapped out with several other commands and work! For instance, whoa. It means stop and stand still, nothing more. Sit mean's sit and don't move until released, nothing more. Down means lie down and stay there until released, nothing more! How about here or come? You know what it means, change it for place and it still means the same thing to the dog when taught. Does this command also use a board or matt to show the dog where the place is? Well your in the middle of a corn field hunting and yell "Place" to your dog. How does he find the board or matt out there. This is to me definitely over thinking a problem. Every command you give your dog means absolutely nothing till you teach it what the command means!

Once again I am an extreme amateur, But my definition of place is sit, or stand, or lay on the object i am using as a place until I release you. But, there needs to be a place, in a middle of a cornfield with no place you wouldn't use that command. Whoa, sit or down would be the correct command in that situation. To me the benefit of it is a dog can stay on place for hours comfortably, the dog still cant get off of the place but can shift, sit, stand, or lay on the place during the command

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:37 pm

You're not understanding sit, down, whoa.