crates

Speaks

crates

Post by Speaks » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:49 pm

Hey guys,

I just put a deposit down on a setter pup. I am super excited and trying to get all my ducks in a row before he comes home.

I have always used wire crates, and frankly dont even remember why I went that way when I bought them. It seems in general though the plastic ones are more popular with the hunting crowd. If your are hauling the dog in the back of the truck it makes sense, I dont really see doing that. Beyond that purpose is there any advantage I am missing? If you think I should go that route rather than reusing one of the wire crates in my basement what is your recommended brand?

Garrison

Re: crates

Post by Garrison » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:09 pm

In the house wire crate is fine. In the ruck or back of the suv Rough Tuff crate for me. I hunt late season in some pretty cold places, the crate with a cover on it has kept my dogs warm well down in to the negatives. Also like that the door can come off so it doubles as a dog house so the dogs can be staked out in the cold instead of having to be in the truck or RV if we are doing multiple day trips. Also feel the dog is much safer in a properly sized crate that is strapped down. For a setter that would equate a size intermediate. The side door model is nice for the smaller suv. Good luck with the new pup.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:15 am

If you already have wire crates, and don't mind them, go ahead and use them.

I prefer plastic crates though. IME puppies and young dogs seem to feel more denned and less jailed in them. And they are lots better at containing hair and dirt so it's not all over the floor.

I'd avoid the cloth crates altogether. We tried them because we could smoosh them close together to get room for 5-6 under the cap on the truck, but I never felt like they would be protective in an accident, plus after a while the stank was pretty bad because they're difficult to clean. We had one in the house, and the dog who used it learned to roll it around so we'd often find him in the crate in a different room than the one we left him in. Sometimes lodged in a doorway. :o

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:24 am

Wire crates should be fine. I do like more enclosed crates so the dog has privacy......Cj

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:55 am

I have both wire and plastic. I like to use the wire crate in my SUV in warm weather as it provides more air flow. As the temps dip I go with the plastic one. I add an insulated cover on the plastic crate in real cold weather when I know the dog may be spending the night in the crate.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:03 am

Enclosed crate in the bed of a truck block wind. Wire crate's in the back of the Bronco give more comfort and better ventilation! I do'n have wire one's but sometime's really wish I did.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:56 am

Open wire crates are much higher stress on a dog, as they feel exposed. Plastic or covered crates (your wife can make a cloth crate cover) provide a "den" atmosphere. Wire crates are cheap and easy to move for the owner, but not the best choice for the dog. In hot weather, they do dissipate heat better, but crate fans (or air conditioning) negate this limited advantage.

If your intent is also to use the crate to housetrain the pup, a solid-sided crate is a much better choice as well.

Compton30

crates

Post by Compton30 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Steve007 wrote:Open wire crates are much higher stress on a dog, as they feel exposed. Plastic or covered crates (your wife can make a cloth crate cover) provide a "den" atmosphere. Wire crates are cheap and easy to move for the owner, but not the best choice for the dog. In hot weather, they do dissipate heat better, but crate fans (or air conditioning) negate this limited advantage.

If your intent is also to use the crate to housetrain the pup, a solid-sided crate is a much better choice as well.
I wish my old lady could make a cloth crate cover!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:36 pm

C'mon, guys...make your own dang crate covers :lol:

Us "old ladies" have our own stuff to do :D

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:17 pm

Compton30 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:Open wire crates are much higher stress on a dog, as they feel exposed. Plastic or covered crates (your wife can make a cloth crate cover) provide a "den" atmosphere. Wire crates are cheap and easy to move for the owner, but not the best choice for the dog. In hot weather, they do dissipate heat better, but crate fans (or air conditioning) negate this limited advantage.

I wish my old lady could make a cloth crate cover!!
Buy her a sewing machine for an anniversary present. Maybe a pink one. Can't get more romantic than that! Well, maybe a little..

Speaks

Post by Speaks » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:04 pm

Garrison wrote:In the house wire crate is fine. In the ruck or back of the suv Rough Tuff crate for me. I hunt late season in some pretty cold places, the crate with a cover on it has kept my dogs warm well down in to the negatives. Also like that the door can come off so it doubles as a dog house so the dogs can be staked out in the cold instead of having to be in the truck or RV if we are doing multiple day trips. Also feel the dog is much safer in a properly sized crate that is strapped down. For a setter that would equate a size intermediate. The side door model is nice for the smaller suv. Good luck with the new pup.

I like your dog name. I have a bloodhound named Waylon.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:19 am

Wire all the way. They ventilate better, keep cleaner and keep the dog smelling better. I ALWAYS have a cap on my truck so won't even consider plastic.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:14 pm

Speaks wrote:Hey guys,

I just put a deposit down on a setter pup. I am super excited and trying to get all my ducks in a row before he comes home.

I have always used wire crates, and frankly dont even remember why I went that way when I bought them. It seems in general though the plastic ones are more popular with the hunting crowd. If your are hauling the dog in the back of the truck it makes sense, I dont really see doing that. Beyond that purpose is there any advantage I am missing? If you think I should go that route rather than reusing one of the wire crates in my basement what is your recommended brand?
Wire crate in the back of a car is real mess when the dog is soaking wet and shakes .
Back of a truck , with a sealed top canopy well it depends on how clean you want the back of that truck. Open top back of a truck no matter which state or temperature you will have wind (and I dont mean from the rear) . Dogs of any breed do not like wind forced against their coat ...unless they are at the groomers with a hot hair dryer of course .
Enclosed space in the back of a covered top back of a truck , then a crate /wire allows circulation .
Common sense is usually a regional and seasonal choice combined with Transport choice . ..for the dog that is .