alpha vs 550 plus

Speaks

alpha vs 550 plus

Post by Speaks » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:27 am

Hi guys,

Just put a deposit down on my new dog, and he will need a new collar system (once he is old enough). I used a tritronics G3 on my last dog which was fine, and messed around with a delta a bit on a non hunting dog (which was garbage).

I had been interested in the alpha for the tracking ability, I only ever once lost a dog on a hunt but it was pretty terrible as it got close to evening and he was still loose in northern WI in wolf country. Ended up finding him on the road 5 miles away on his way back to the cabin, but still something I would rather not repeat. The problem was that as much as the tracking on the alpha seemed awesome the training aspect did not seem ideal and most reviews I have seen say the same thing.

The 550 plus looks great from a training perspective and the arrow and distance seem simpler than the alpha for normal use during a hunt, less effective for finding a lost dog. What are everyone's thoughts on the best strategy.

1. Alpha alone
2. 550 plus alone
3. 550 plus also paired to an alpha remote or the road tracks device
4. Normal collar and add an astro collar for tracking

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: alpha vs 550 plus

Post by cjhills » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:57 am

The 550+ definitely looks interesting and the pricelooksgood. I use afield 70 and Astro 430 when I need tracking. The cost is reasonable and I don't need to use the Astro when I am training or hunting where there is no chance of losing the dog......Cj

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:32 am

I have been using a Garmin 550 for training since my 500 antenna housing broke off. It is an excellent tool for training. I bought an Alpha 2.5 years ago and have used it extensively for hunting and would not be without it for that purpose. It is far more complicated than it needs to be however and I do not like the touch screen at all but have learned to work around it for the most part. Once my dog is trained the ecollar functions of the Alpha are totally adequate but I much prefer the 550 for training.

After some shake out period on the 550+ I will buy a 550 transmitter and pair it with my TT-15 mini collars and have the best of both worlds I believe. Now that it has hit the market I would give it a hard look.

Lots of folks tout carrying two transmitters and two collars on the dog as an advantage. Not for me it isn't.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:14 am

I'm upgrading in Sept. And have been studying both. Right now I use an old TT Pro100 and Astro 320 combination. That was great when the dog's were young but now the old girl is zooming in on 14 and the youngster is 2 and pretty much finished so I want them to only have to wear one collar.

I boiled it down to that which one makes you happy depends on where you hunt. If I hunted prairie country exclusively, without doubt it would be the 550 bundle. All you have to know is where the dog is and be able to correct it.

Whole different scenario it you are hunting the big woods and have to navigate out and find your truck. The 550 only tells you where the dog is so you have to carry an extra GPS as well. Pain the the rear.

Now factor in if you have to train the dog. If you have a lot of training to dog, the Alpha is a piece of crap. Hard to change levels on and slow. The 550 wins hands down. For me, I'll probably end up with the "bleep" Alpha, just because the dog's are trained and I like having a GPS readily available.

You have to analyze your situation and see which features are most important. Another piece of advice: No matter which one you get, GET TWO COLLARS. If something goes wrong, it's usually the collar not the receiver and you always have one fully charged collar along.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Speaks

Post by Speaks » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:04 am

That all makes sense. Early on the training will be the most important part so it sounds like the Alpha is out. I suppose it probably makes more sense to invest in the plus vs regular 550 so I can switch the collar to an alpha system later on if I want to eventually go that route. For now I do have a regular GPS that I can use to find the truck until then.

Good point on the extra collar, I had not really thought about that being the main failure point. It would be hand for letting the bloodhound out in the yard at the cabin anyway, he is usually pretty good but if he catches the right scent he is gone...

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:08 pm

I listened to Snell talk about it on gun dog supply , and as i went to bed thinking about it and comparing it to the alpha i own the 550plus is like hanging a battleship around your neck its so big, i like the small compact alpha i can just hang it on one of my loops on my vest look at it and done , with that thing it looks big and awkward?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:36 pm

tailcracken pointer wrote:I listened to Snell talk about it on gun dog supply , and as i went to bed thinking about it and comparing it to the alpha i own the 550plus is like hanging a battleship around your neck its so big, i like the small compact atterlpha i can just hang it on one of my loops on my vest look at it and done , with that thing it looks big and awkward?
I've used the Pro 100 and transmitters like it for 40+ years. You're right; battleship. Usually carry mine in back pocket.

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:47 pm

Sign me up for hunting all day with a battleship in my pocket!! Maybe in the 80s, i will take compact off a ring on my vest, alpha for me

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:53 pm

I used the Pro 100, then 500, now 550. All in a holster which leaves the buttons instantly accessible, hanging on a strap around my waist. While Training the transmitter is in my hand when it needs to be, but otherwise, and while hunting it is hanging antenna down at my waist. In over 30 years it has never been the slightest bit of a problem for me and I can reach down and use it without looking any time I need to.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:08 pm

The TT 200 is the first ecollar I started with. Since then, I have ploughed my way through 2 Sportdog systems, 2 G3 transmitters and now have a Garmin 550. Throughout the years, when the newer ecollar systems were out of service, I would charge the old TT 200, and work one dog at a time on that old collar and transmitter. It has never failed, and the only reason I bought the other systems was because I was running 3 or 4 dogs. I look forward to more reviews of the Garmin 550 Plus, and I hope to purchase one. I just wish the new stuff worked as reliably as the old, old stuff.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:14 am

averageguy wrote:I used the Pro 100, then 500, now 550. All in a holster which leaves the buttons instantly accessible, hanging on a strap around my waist. While Training the transmitter is in my hand when it needs to be, but otherwise, and while hunting it is hanging antenna down at my waist. In over 30 years it has never been the slightest bit of a problem for me and I can reach down and use it without looking any time I need to.
I agree, great training collar, without much doubt, the best. Hunting is different. Hunting, you now have the 550 in a holster on your side (the WW vest has a special pocket for it) and an Astro around your neck or in a holster. With the Alpha you have one light weight receiver on a lanyard. I'm still going to use the Pro 100 for training young dog's, but I think it'll be the Alpha for the trained dog's. I still have to actually hold one to see it I really do like it.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:12 am

GH, I did a poor job of clarifying in my last post.

What I was getting at in my second post in this thread, is the size of the transmitters for 100, 500, 550 (and now potentially a 550 plus) have never presented any challenges for me. I use a holster strapped around my waist and that approach has always worked fine over 30 years now.

When I am training and making corrections requiring critical timing, I have the transmitter in my hand. While hunting I got along fine with the transmitter at my waist. All my transmitter models have had plastic button guards around them which makes them fit snug in the holsters I have used and therefore low risk of coming out until I take them out.

I went to an Alpha for hunting 2.5 years ago and all things considered, like it (I posted more about that above). I carry the transmitter on the left side of the chest strap on my WingsWorks vest and get along ok that way but really prefer the holster on my waist as I used with the TTs models that preceded it.

If I was in the market now, I would probably land on a 550 plus and carry it in the holster at my waist as I have easily done and still do when using my 550 for training and non-hunting applications around the farm. I see the cheaper products with their tiny transmitters hanging around folks necks. I am sharing my perspective that is not my preferred method of carrying a transmitter and would not at all deter me from going the route of the new 550 plus.

Opinions vary, but I think the issue of how to carry/use a larger transmitter is easily addressed and not a reason to shy away from the new 550 plus vs the Alpha. (A desire to use the many kitchen sink functions of the Alpha vs the lesser functions of the 550 plus might be a reason to go the route of an Alpha, but that is different than transmitter size which came up in the thread).

From a guy who owns and uses an Alpha and a 550 currently, if the 550 plus had been out when I bought the Alpha, I would have bought the 550 plus instead (assuming it works as advertised).