Setter tracking birds

veggie

Setter tracking birds

Post by veggie » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:08 am

So I got myself an irish setter 19 months of age. He has been terrible training so far, however he is starting to become a housemate. Unfortunately he is chasing sheep and livestock, and where I live, in Norway, we have to use certified persons to break them off using an e-collar. This means his experience with grouse, ptarmigan, black grouse and capercallie (which we hunt here) is rather sparse. However, he is chasing tweety birds, and in farmlands next door he is tracking them up with his nose in the ground until they fly and starts to chase. Neither can he hide his excitement for seagulls, which he also wants to chase.

In his few experiences with real hunting prey he wants to see it before he his hesitating a moment and wants to chase. I'm at a puzzle as what to do with him, as when we starts to chase he becomes rather difficult to stop as he zones in on the prey. If I am close and in front of him he respects my commands, but if he thinks i won't catch him he can take off. E-collar beeing out of the question I wonder how to go about this, any tips?

regards