Confused dog

Compton30

Confused dog

Post by Compton30 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:24 am

My 8 month old pup is collar conditioned to the commands of whoa, whistle for recall, and kennel. Taught in the inverse order. He's not perfect, but he does very good and knows how to turn stimulation off, but an issue arose today.

I was at a big public field type area near my house and a lady walked by with her dog. I let them visit for a minute before walking away to just continue on our way. He wouldn't come initially, so I blew the whistle and he blew me off so I turned on the low level stimulation. He ignored that so I bumped one setting higher and he just stopped moving as if I had told him to whoa. He then broke and started fussing with the other dog again. I whistled again and he blew it off, correction came on, and then he just stood there as if I had once again told him whoa, which I didn't, until I walked over and led him off on the leash.

Obviously he has his wires crossed and I'm not experienced enough to know what to do about it to fix this. How do I fix his confusion? Go back and reteach how to turn off stim if he doesnt abide the whistle immediately?

birddogger2

Re: Confused dog

Post by birddogger2 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:03 am

I don't teach my dogs to "turn off stim", per se.

I also do not bump the stim level up just one level if the dog does not instantly respond to the first, low level stim. I turn the dial up 2 or 3 levels. I want the dog to clearly understand that its failure to comply had serious consequences.

It is not uncommon for a pointing dog to stop dead when it has gotten a repeat stim, particularly a higher level one. They are not confused, but rather they are "going to a safe place". The way I train, standing still is often perceived by the dog to be a "safe" place. I suspect your dog has done the same thing, for the same reason.

If I have to go and get the dog and heel it away, because it stopped and grew roots somewhere after I gave it a correction...I consider that a VERY successful correction...one that the dog will remember for a very long time, so I won't have to repeat it.

Just be sure to treat it matter of factly and after you have gone, gotten the dog and quietly heeled it off, stop and give the dog a pat on the flank to let it know you are not angry at them or holding a grudge. Then cut it loose again and go about your business.

RayG

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:07 am

You've taught him that his default response is always to stop. Not a bad thing. Now, just balance it out. Split the basic four commands equally: HERE, WHOA, KENNEL, HEEL. I have continuous; use a nick so the dog gets a chance to comply.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:08 pm

I'd be really careful about using stim on a dog that's near another dog, most especially while they are interacting. It could be easily Game On if your dog thinks the other dog caused the stim; or if your dog reacts to a stim the other dog can misunderstand and go after your dog.

Compton30

Post by Compton30 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:23 am

Alright, sounds like this is less of a concern than I realized. Appreciate the help, as always, folks.
Last edited by Compton30 on Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:30 am

Sounds like you think your farther along than the pup does! He got the temptation and blew you off even with the collar on. Back up a bit!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Compton30

Post by Compton30 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:18 pm

DonF wrote:Sounds like you think your farther along than the pup does! He got the temptation and blew you off even with the collar on. Back up a bit!
Funny you should say back up because that's exactly what I did today and it worked perfectly.