Retrieval issues

strick9995

Retrieval issues

Post by strick9995 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:16 pm

I have a 7(ish) month old GSP/Lab that i'm having some trouble getting to retrieve. When I throw a toy for her to retrieve she usually runs to it and lays down to chew on it or runs to it, picks it up and runs a short distance and lays down. She loves to carry things around the yard in her mouth (sticks, toys, trash etc.) but when I tell her to come over to me she immediately drops whatever she has and runs to me. We've been working on "hold" and "give" but is not helping for when she is not within reach.

Any helpful training tips or hints?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Retrieval issues

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:59 pm

If it were me, I'd be looking for a good retriever training programme to follow.

Retriever DVD set like Smart Works by Evan Graham

https://www.google.ca/search?q=gun+dog+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:54 pm

It is funny how easy it is to refer anyone to a programme .
Not much use , if fido cant even retrieve a stick ..or a slipper if it is a retriever tbh .
Perhaps a simple discipline procedure of "how fido comes back" without the stick before any program is started .
The program remote handset for the tv is often the NOT the best to start with .. as a pup .

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:36 pm

If it were me. I would wait awhile. It is only a issue if you think it is an issue......Cj

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:37 pm

Your problem is not in the retrieve, it's an obedience issue with the HERE command. Teach HERE and the retrieve will clean up.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:47 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Your problem is not in the retrieve, it's an obedience issue with the HERE command. Teach HERE and the retrieve will clean up.
I agree. I had a similar issue and reinforce the obedience and it straightened out the concern.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.