Hold

timothyjones

Hold

Post by timothyjones » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:23 pm

I have a 9 month VDD and I just started to force fetch her.Ive done the hand in glove then move to just glove and now on dowel.Heres the problem ever time I place it in her mouth and of course tap her on the nose and tell her to hold she holds her mouth open and doesn’t clamp down on it she just holds her head back and lets it rest in her mouth even when I pull her head down and reinforce the hold command with a tap it just rest behind her teeth.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Hold

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:33 pm

Using toe, Joel or ear?
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:37 pm

Gently show her what you want.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:51 pm

Perhaps You have just started on a few things ,without finishing them .
A genueine Muscadine wine ...made by a Black woman in the Bayou , and bottled ..costs money . If You like that taste .
Bitter/Sweet.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:51 am

polmaise wrote:Perhaps You have just started on a few things ,without finishing them .
A genueine Muscadine wine ...made by a Black woman in the Bayou , and bottled ..costs money . If You like that taste .
Bitter/Sweet.
Eh ??? Sorry Robert , that's too deep for me :?:

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:29 pm

Trekmoor wrote:
polmaise wrote:Perhaps You have just started on a few things ,without finishing them .
Bitter/Sweet.
Eh ??? Sorry Robert , that's too deep for me :?:

Bill T.
Timmy may be Tip toeing around something before he has finished the first drink.
Perhaps FF should be done by someone who knows what they are doing .
Force Hold would be the same :wink:

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Ah ! Je comprehende noo ! :lol:

I don't do F.F. and if I do "hold" then it is usually done as part of a " Take - Give" game with a puppy.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:52 pm

Lol ..Bill.
My time in Louisiana with a good friend who knows more about FF and Hold with collar trained dogs than I do in my little finger coined the phrase with the wine .
We had a few :wink: :lol:

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:35 am

Bitter/Sweet.
Love it! :-)
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:44 am

When I force trained, I never used the hold command. Fetch meant to put whatever in your mouth and hold it till I ask for it back. It was Fetch and starting with the dowel on the lower jaw roll it into the mouth, little help with the hand is needed early on. Then, soon thumb over the nose to hold the dowel in as needed. Then as the buck is in the mouth the finger's go under the jaw and thumb over the nose to hold the mouth closed as needed. Shouldn't take long for the dog to hold it. When the ear pinch start's, the dog usually clamps down on it but that will go away with a bit of time as the dog begins to understand! Help your dog all you can without making him reliant on you!

Oh yea. Fetch mentioned once then give him a hand to do what you want, shut up. if you use the hold command I assume you say fetch to get the dowel in the mouth then hold to keep it there, then shut up. In either case the next thing you say is whatever your release command is. If you can feel the dog's mouth trying to open, don't let go. When the mouth quits trying to open, give the release command and take the dowel!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:36 am

go on youtube lots of stuff on there that will show you what to do

CDN_Cocker

Hold

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:38 am

You'll probably have to cage the dummy in her mouth with your hand gently but firmly till she gets it. Then she'll be a holding machine. [img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201809 ... 06ddec.jpg[/img]

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr