Am I on Track?

gklossner0916

Am I on Track?

Post by gklossner0916 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:57 am

Hey,

I got my first Shorthaired Pointer a few weeks ago and she is now 15 weeks old today. I have been doing a lot of research to try and learn how to train as I go and steer away from as many faults as I can. The dogs is just a sponge and learns what I teach it or what I fail to teach it. So if I can become a better training, then that will help the dog become the best it can be. All dogs learn at different speeds; that being said, if I share below with what I have taught her can someone help me out and see if I am on the right path?

She knows "HERE" but doesn't always respond when I call her. she does once I get her gong with treats and a clicker. I try to never say it more tan once, that way she knows that she has to listen the first time and not after I say it multiple times. When she doesn't listen, I go and get her and use her collar to bring her to where I said the command from. Using a check chord would work to, but I don't have it on her 100% of the time.

I have introduced her to pigeons on multiple occasions. Probably 7-8 times. She has seen provably 30-35 birds total. Some of this was in the back yard at first (bad idea since I she should associate birds with a field). There others have been introduced to her in the field. My family owns 150 acres and is perfect for this. I tied some of them to a string and walked her up to them so she would point them out and then I would tug on the string and then let her chaise them as they flew. I had a check chord on her to get her from getting them. The others I have released them from my hand after she points them out. I let her chase them as they fly and then call her back to me with "HERE" she listens every time since she has figured out I always have more birds. She did get a couple of them that flew low to the ground however. She holds them well, doesn't shake or drop them at all, I had to pry them out of her mouth though otherwise she would hold them all day long. This probably isn't the best to do, but I don't know what else to do to get her to release them to me.

She doesn't seem to want to bring toys back to me when I trow them. She will try to run away from me when I try to get them to trow again. I know chasing them is bad to do, so I try not to.

When I go on walks with her, she does pretty good overall. She does pull from time to time though. I have not started using the command "heel" yet though because im not sure she would know what it means yet.

Any help would be appreciated!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Am I on Track?

Post by cjhills » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:29 pm

Slow down and forget the birds. Let her be a puppy for a Couple more months...…………...Cj

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:12 am

Ditto the above.

Do not chase after her during retrieves ! Move away from her or even run away from her as soon as she has the retrieve article in her mouth, try taking it from her on the move, keep backing away from her .....or...... set up a "retrieve lane" on your land and use that to funnel the pup into you.

I'd stop with the pigeons altogether until you have her either retrieving better or until you can stop her from catching them.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:51 am

I put light homemade check cords on my puppies and let them drag them at all times when outside. It allows me to get my foot on the check cord and reel them in as/when needed. I use it in conjunction with training the Here/Come command, giving the command once and only when I am close enough to get my foot on the check cord and gently reel them in should they ignore the command. And when they inevitably get something in their mouth I need to take away, I can do that as well.

I construct and use a retrieve tunnel as Trekmoor recommends per the photo below. A few reps a day keeping it short and the pup excited for another toss when I swing the puppy bumper out of sight into my arm pit and end the game.

Sounds like you have introduced birds which is good. Having done that, at the stage you are at, I use remote controlled launchers in silence such that the puppy either points the bird when it smells it, or the pigeon is launched and flies away. I say nothing while doing this work and just let the puppy work the bird. It brings out their pointing instinct and teaches them that advancing into the scent cone frightens the bird away (as it would a wild bird, which is the point of using remote launchers - done right they present training birds in a way that mimics wild bird behavior). There are numerous threads on the subject on this board and the process is laid out very clearly in the Perfect Start DVD, (which also includes many other training subjects you will want/need to work on.) Past the first couple of bird introductions I do not want my puppies catching birds.

Enjoy, the puppy phase goes too fast.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:04 am

if you throw a toy for the pup and run after it trying to get the toy back the pup is learning the game your teaching it! pay attention to what your teaching!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!